Re: Memory use and performance issues

"Ian D" wrote:

"david manvell" <davidmanvell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:DE4C976D-AEFE-403E-8098-C468C0CE72A0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm having some memory use or performance issues I think. Let me try to
explain.

I have a fairly powerful desktop with decent hardware all around. System
specs:

Dell Precision 670 Workstation
Running Windows Vista Ultimate x64.
All latest service packs etc.
2 Xeon CPUs 3.2GHz (2 logical processors each). So 4 logical processors
each
running at 3.2GHz
6Gigs ram (2GB+2GB+1GB+1GB) DDR2-400 Registered ECC Memory Module.
2 Ultra320 SCSI controller and drives
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT (512 MB) video card running two 24" monitors.

My Windows Experience Index scores:
Processor: 5.0
Memory (RAM): 4.7
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming graphics: 5.9
Primary hard disk: 5.9

The reason for your low CPU and RAM scores is because your
machine is built on server and workstation specs, rather than general
use desktop specs.

The Xeon CPU's will not rate as high as Core 2 CPU's at the same
speeds. My 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo rates at 5.3 in Vista Ultimate 64.
The Xeons will shine at Autocad, Photoshop, etc., but will not
perform as well at gaming, etc.

Also, 800MHz RAM should score 5.6 or higher, but you are using
registered ECC, which is lowering the bandwidth. Error checking
reliability has a performance cost. That's why high speed gaming
PC's don't use buffered or ECC RAM. Very few desktop
motherboards take ECC RAM.

Do you know if I can change out the type of ram i have or the CPUs? or do I
have to use the ones they spec?

  • Re: Memory use and performance issues
    ... Dell Precision 670 Workstation ... Running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. ... The reason for your low CPU and RAM scores is because your ... machine is built on server and workstation specs, ...
  • Re: Memory use and performance issues
    ... Dell Precision 670 Workstation ... Running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. ... machine is built on server and workstation specs, ... PC's don't use buffered or ECC RAM. ...
  • Re: iMac G5 Ram
    ... > "certified specs" on any of the sites you have given me. ... the company selling the ram "certifies" it matches the specs, ... >> buys premium gas when your car only can handle regular unleaded. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: iMac G5 Ram
    ... ram that isn't spec'd for a mac can and will give you issues, but as long as it fits the specs of said mac, buying the cheapest ram is best. ... To make it quick and painless, premium gas USED to get you more detergent. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: What kind of RAM?
    ... goes to a store to buy ram and asks if it's buffered or unbuffered or asks ... Another problem is knowing which specs are the important ones. ... computers I see have no problem with using a wide range ram configurations. ... > Memory Module Properties: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)