Re: Memory use and performance issues

So what can I do to free up some of this memory being used (What processes
or services can I shut down)?

On this specific question: don't try. Vista, unlike it's predecessors, makes much more use of any available RAM by preloading all sorts of stuff into memory, including applications which it "expects" you to use (based on your previous useage patterns - Superfetch).

This memory is instantly released if an application requires it, so it isn't causing you a problem. Indeed, it is actually helping you by speeding things up.

Remember: empty RAM is wasted RAM. You've paid for it, so let Vista use it to improve your user experience.

SteveT

  • Re: Slow to open files
    ... If you already have 1GB of RAM, ... applications, ... If you are currently using the page file significantly, more memory ... "Mike" wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows uses 4 GB? Really?
    ... I bought 4 GB of RAM because I thought it would speed up my system a bit. ... Some info that is posted here as reference seems to suggest that it is a Windows issue, but others seem to suggest that it is also a hardware issue. ... "I have install total 4GB memory on my motherboard. ... On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • memory management bug
    ... although I still have plenty of RAM ... of memory management (i.e: "unsuficient memory to ... >I usually open a lot of applications simultaneously ... Tool, many "IEXPLORE windows" opened, Paint Shop Pro 8, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Can I remove some pgms @ startup?
    ... applications don't use RAM, please disregard that part. ... *All* applications use memory, and unless that memory hasn't been ... recently used it's RAM. ...