Re: Free Defragger

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:53:47 -0700, "Victek" <Victek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Can someone recommend a good FREE defragger that shows the process as it
did
in W98 and XP? I can't stand having no damn idea how long it will take
when
I have other things to do. Why the hell was it changed so no one has a
clue
how fragmented the drive is or how long it will take?

"Larry" <reply@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
This one is a good one. Optimizes as well as defrags.
http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/

Regarding whether third party defraggers are better then the one built in to
Vista, there is the question of boot-time defrag. That is an option in
PerfectDisk and Ultra Defrag (free) which makes it
possible to defrag the page file, hibernation file, MFT and metadata. Since
all of these files are locked while the Windows GUI is running it is
necessary to defrag them during the boot process. While the performance
benefit may not be dramatic it is noticeable in my experience, and it can
make a significant difference to maximizing free space.

The ONE time I had a third-party defragger do that I lost all my
restore points.

DDW
No email please

  • Re: Free Defragger
    ... in W98 and XP? ... Why the hell was it changed so no one has a clue ... there is the question of boot-time defrag. ... make a significant difference to maximizing free space. ...
  • Re: Free Defragger
    ... there is the question of boot-time defrag. ... make a significant difference to maximizing free space. ... I've been using boot time option of PerfectDisk on XP and now Vista for years without problems. ...
  • Re: Beware of Diskeeper10 Pro
    ... do a disk cleanup prior to a major defrag. ... history, if I want to keep something I move it to a temp folder, cleanup IE, ... data is actually writtent to the appropriate MFT entry. ... DRIVES and enable! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: MFT fragmentation and space reservation
    ... the topic titled "Defrag on boot - Enable/Disable". ... which has the capability to defrag both the MFT and pagefile ... | How is MFT space reservation implemented for NTFS under | Windows XP Pro? ... | Could this fragmentation be the result of under- | reservation, or is a certain degree of MFT fragmentation | considered 'normal' under the conditions described? ...
  • Re: [SLE] Any defrag hd program?
    ... On Saturday 15 November 2003 11:36 am, Dylan wrote: ... Customers with these systems running W98 were getting into ... were suspicious of customers doing PORs or BRS while DEFRAG ...
    (SuSE)