Re: Virus or What?

Vista Not Vista Anymore wrote:

my dell laptop with vista has recently begun working poorly. the email
and internet now take 60-90 seconds to respond to open, the computer seems
to freeze often, and the mcafee security center seems to turn off (by
itself) and then has to "fix" the "computer and files" and "email and im"
portions.

i have tried to return to an earlier registry. i've done all the scans,
reinstalled mcafee 3 times, and still the problems persist. it's like my
computer has been infected by something slowing it down, stopping it from
responding to commands promptly, and occasionally interfering with the
mcafee
operation (since i have to keep fixing the security center). i did the
mcafee virtual tech and fixed all the problems it identified. i've
updated all the downloads for windows and mcafee.
i've run out of ideas. i have no clue what the problem is or how to fix
it.

Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone help?

Aside from telling you that McAfee is garbage and suggesting you install
something better (NOD32, Kaspersky, or even Avast if you want a free one),
there is no way I can tell you if your computer is infected from what
you've written.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. PLEASE DO NOT
POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be
so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. If possible, have
all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Way OT: Windows Vista question
    ... get rid of McAfee or Norton AV and put a diffeent one on. ... utility programs. ... Too bad about having Vista; it's gonna cause you a lot of heartburn. ... I went to Walmart earlier today, there is only about four choices, Norton, ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: Win 7 Updates
    ... It's 32bit, as was Vista, but I've no idea which variety of 32 bit. ... Subscription is still current and the updates are ... Are you suggesting a complete McaFee ... message comes up saying 'Installing file x of yyy do not switch off' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: VS2005 NOT Compatiblke with Vista? Are you serious?!
    ... on Vista when you had agreed to do so previously is niether good for the ... that is what sells things to many customers. ... to run XP and thier old apps). ... I don't want something (McAfee and Norton) that scans every single ...
  • Re: Mcafee and Vista
    ... windows update and then try to restart my computer..It will not start ... I haven't had that problem but....I used to use McAfee on my home ... The install went fine, but ... then Vista told me that there was no AV installed. ...
  • Re: Windows Update error 80200053
    ... If you're uncomfortable disabling McAfee while connected to the ... and then install the updates. ... The above are for the 32 bit versions of Vista. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)