Re: System Restore/VSS Not working in Vista Ultimate

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=be596899-7bb8-4208-b7fc-09e02a13696c&displaylang=en

Download this amazing little tool.
It says MS Exchange, but it works for a lot more than that.
e.g. The error you report: 0x81000109 produces the following information:
One of four results:
# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), Facility: 0x100, Code 0x109
MMIOERR_CHUNKNOTFOUND mmsystem.h
MCIERR_DEVICE_OPEN mmsystem.h
STATUS_VOLUME_MOUNTED ntstatus.h
# A new volumen has been mounted by a file system.
SQL_265_severity_16
#Column name '%.*ls' specified in the %ls operator conflicts
with the existing column name in the %ls argument.

Your second error code,: 0x80070037 produces:
One of eight results:
# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), Facility: 0x7, Code 0x37
FLOPPY_INTERNAL ERROR bugcodes.h
MSG_DN_CERT_UNREVOKED certlog.mc
#Certificate Services unrevoked the certificat for request %1 for
%2.
CR_NO_SUCH_DEVICE_INTERFACE cfgmgr32.h
POLICY_ERRV_NO_ACCEPTS lpmapi.h
NRC_NOSAPS nb30.h
NMERR_INVALID_HCAPTURE netmon.h
OLE_ERROR_STATIC_FROM_OTHER_OS ole.h
# trying to load a static object created
ERROR_DEV_NOT_EXIST winerror.h
(The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Combine the two:
Your System Restore is trying to write to a device that doesn't exist.

If you have a RAID setup, then one of the drives may be bad or have a
redundant RAID 0 set. (Sys Restore cannot figure out the drive enumeration.)

There are a couple of buggy BIOSes which change the disk enumeration
order based on the presence of a bootable DVD.
(e.g. Put your Vista Install disk in the DVD drive and try again.)
Is your BIOS up-to-date?

Set BIOS boot priority to have the OS drive boot first instead of the
CD-ROM or USB. (enumeration issue with some BIOSes.)

If your BIOS is up-to-date, then try the following:
Open the Disk Management screen. Are there any drives indicated that
you know are not there? This can be caused by a running driver for a missing
drive. (e.g. SCSI Offline or USB).
Try turning System Restore off individually for each drive given as an
option. Reboot, then re-enable.
Try turning System Restore off completely. Reboot, then re-enable.

"btr94" <btr94.3hakfe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I am having the same issue as described in this thread:
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-performance/673392.htm

I am getting the error 0x81000109 when trying to create a restore
point.
Event Viewer Information:
Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80070037. hr =
0x00000000.

Operation:
OnIdentify event
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Execution Context: ASR Writer
Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
Writer Name: ASR Writer
Writer Instance ID: {db241b99-5fe5-49a9-9b20-6f8771d1313e}

Any help would be greatly appreciated as one of the reasons I upgraded
to Vista Ultimate was for the Shadow Copy service!

--
btr94
btr94's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/btr94.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: Lost System Restore function/cannot remove programs
    ... Thanks for the help Will,it worked I seem to have System Restore back ... I've now lost my CD Drives in XP. ... They are there in BIOS on boot up ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: HDD Compatibility
    ... and new larger drives appear in the ... BIOS Upgrades ... available expansion slot and then connecting your hard drives to it. ... than having to connect them to the controller card itself. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Possible Sleeping Virus
    ... Remember that System Restore only tracks SYSTEM files - not yours. ... You should periodically defragment your hard drives as well as check them ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Ruined m-board with bios update
    ... Doubt that you will be back to this post to see this, but if you are, I received an an identical replacement motherboard from Intel today and just finished installing it. ... Plugged all the hard drives into the same connections as the old board and after all the other tiny little connections I turned it on. ... to re-set the clock in the bios and that was no problem. ... Turned power on & inserted recovery CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Ruined m-board with bios update
    ... Plugged all the hard drives ... reactivating on a new motherboard. ... Turned power on & inserted recovery CD. ... recovery bios! ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)