Re: System Restore/VSS Not working in Vista Ultimate

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=be596899-7bb8-4208-b7fc-09e02a13696c&displaylang=en

Download this amazing little tool.
It says MS Exchange, but it works for a lot more than that.
e.g. The error you report: 0x81000109 produces the following information:
One of four results:
# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), Facility: 0x100, Code 0x109
MMIOERR_CHUNKNOTFOUND mmsystem.h
MCIERR_DEVICE_OPEN mmsystem.h
STATUS_VOLUME_MOUNTED ntstatus.h
# A new volumen has been mounted by a file system.
SQL_265_severity_16
#Column name '%.*ls' specified in the %ls operator conflicts
with the existing column name in the %ls argument.

Your second error code,: 0x80070037 produces:
One of eight results:
# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), Facility: 0x7, Code 0x37
FLOPPY_INTERNAL ERROR bugcodes.h
MSG_DN_CERT_UNREVOKED certlog.mc
#Certificate Services unrevoked the certificat for request %1 for
%2.
CR_NO_SUCH_DEVICE_INTERFACE cfgmgr32.h
POLICY_ERRV_NO_ACCEPTS lpmapi.h
NRC_NOSAPS nb30.h
NMERR_INVALID_HCAPTURE netmon.h
OLE_ERROR_STATIC_FROM_OTHER_OS ole.h
# trying to load a static object created
ERROR_DEV_NOT_EXIST winerror.h
(The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Combine the two:
Your System Restore is trying to write to a device that doesn't exist.

If you have a RAID setup, then one of the drives may be bad or have a
redundant RAID 0 set. (Sys Restore cannot figure out the drive enumeration.)

There are a couple of buggy BIOSes which change the disk enumeration
order based on the presence of a bootable DVD.
(e.g. Put your Vista Install disk in the DVD drive and try again.)
Is your BIOS up-to-date?

Set BIOS boot priority to have the OS drive boot first instead of the
CD-ROM or USB. (enumeration issue with some BIOSes.)

If your BIOS is up-to-date, then try the following:
Open the Disk Management screen. Are there any drives indicated that
you know are not there? This can be caused by a running driver for a missing
drive. (e.g. SCSI Offline or USB).
Try turning System Restore off individually for each drive given as an
option. Reboot, then re-enable.
Try turning System Restore off completely. Reboot, then re-enable.

"btr94" <btr94.3hakfe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I am having the same issue as described in this thread:
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-performance/673392.htm

I am getting the error 0x81000109 when trying to create a restore
point.
Event Viewer Information:
Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80070037. hr =
0x00000000.

Operation:
OnIdentify event
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Execution Context: ASR Writer
Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
Writer Name: ASR Writer
Writer Instance ID: {db241b99-5fe5-49a9-9b20-6f8771d1313e}

Any help would be greatly appreciated as one of the reasons I upgraded
to Vista Ultimate was for the Shadow Copy service!

--
btr94
btr94's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/btr94.htm

http://forums.techarena.in