Cannot open Theme Settings, Display Settings, Screen Saver Settings, etc

Hi everyone. new to the forum. Trying to find a solution to my problem.

I have vista ultimate on a DELL XPS laptop.

I have 2 user accounts, both admin.

The second account i setup today by default had the windows classic
theme, so i clicked personalize the change it. but to my surprise, when
i clicked on the "Theme" link in the personalize menu, nothing happened
- no popup or error message, literally nothing.

i then tried clicking on display settings, same thing. Same thing for
Window Color and Appearance and Screensaver. The only links which work
from my personalize menu are "Desktop Background, Sounds and Mouse
Pointers". Same problem happens in the first user account too i checked.

Im running latest version of norton antivirus, and have run a scan with
nothing detected.

Any help or fixes would be greatly appreciated. google wasnt my friend
trying to find a solution for this.

--
mitcho
.