Re: Blocking ads with host file

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 23:50:24 -0500, "news.microsoft.com"
<anon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since IE7 has a pop-up blocker but nothing for all those annoying ads, I
downloaded a host file and put it in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\ and I
still see the ads.

DO NOT MULTI-POST. If you must post to more than one group, do it all
at once putting each group on the same line, separated by commas.
That's called "cross-posting" and the benefit of that is that all
replies are seen in each group.

You have a reply in the other group you posted to.

http://hostsfile.mine.nu/ only says:

So how do install this file ?
Simply unzip & place this "Hosts" file in the relevant directory (logged on
with Root/SU/Administrator privileges in most cases):
Microsoft Windows NT/2K: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\

I still see all the adds using IE7. Windows named it HOST 2 and may not see
it or access it. How do I get it to work and block ads using IE7?

  • Blocking ads with host file
    ... Since IE7 has a pop-up blocker but nothing for all those annoying ads, ... Windows named it HOST 2 and may not see it or access it. ...
  • Re: Blocking ads with host file
    ... How do I get it to work and block ads using IE7? ...
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Removing ShKit Root Kit
    ... deleting the host file deletes all associated data streams. ... If a file of the same name is created on the system, the ADS' will not ... > Until you restored it from backup. ... what about repeated compromise? ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Internet Explorer will not show web pages, Firefox does.
    ... Choose yes for all options when prompted except for the host file ... *WARNING* Do NOT follow any advice given by the people listed below. ... Internet Explorer will not display any web pages, ... Was using IE6, but due to it not displaying web pages, I downloaded IE7 ...
  • Re: Internet Explorer will not show web pages, Firefox does.
    ... This advice is from a phony MVP. ... Choose yes for all options when prompted except for the host file ... Internet Explorer will not display any web pages, ... with Firefox, and installed IE7. ...