Re: Blocking ads with host file

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 23:50:24 -0500, "news.microsoft.com"
<anon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since IE7 has a pop-up blocker but nothing for all those annoying ads, I
downloaded a host file and put it in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\ and I
still see the ads.

DO NOT MULTI-POST. If you must post to more than one group, do it all
at once putting each group on the same line, separated by commas.
That's called "cross-posting" and the benefit of that is that all
replies are seen in each group.

You have a reply in the other group you posted to.

http://hostsfile.mine.nu/ only says:

So how do install this file ?
Simply unzip & place this "Hosts" file in the relevant directory (logged on
with Root/SU/Administrator privileges in most cases):
Microsoft Windows NT/2K: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\

I still see all the adds using IE7. Windows named it HOST 2 and may not see
it or access it. How do I get it to work and block ads using IE7?
.