Re: strange Vista behavior that just started---screen blackouts with no relation to UAC

I guess you have trolled through Google?
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=driver+sun+24.1%22+LCD+monitor&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

For US$100 you can get a really good NVIDIA Card to save yourself some hassle, BUT, what condition is your power supply in? To drive your current monitor will be pulling some power to your system, is your Power supply perhaps on the way out? What wattage do you have? It may explain the fact it has 'just started'

I have 1200 W PS for a high end machine but you should have 350 w minimum for modern machines and their demands

Frenchy

Howard Haber wrote:
Hi Frenchy:
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I imagine that I have been pushing my luck on the old video card. At the time I upgraded to Vista in May, 2007 (long story, don't ask), I upgraded the video card driver to a vista compatable version (it is dated 10/9/2006) from the NVIDIA website. I checked that there is not a more recent update (and windows agrees!). At the time, I was using a 20" Dell monitor (1600 x 1200 resolution) and I never had a problem. When I replaced it with the current 24" Sun monitor (resolution: 1920 x 1200) in June, 2008, everything seemed to work fine until a couple of weeks ago. I just can't figure out what triggered the recent problem. The resolution seems well within the specs of the video card according to the NVIDIA online documentation.
It seems that you may be suggesting that it would be wise to upgrade the video card. But, I appreciate any other comments that you can provide.

Thanks,

Howard

Frenchy wrote:

That is a REALLY old low end card driving a 24" Monitor?? You need to turn off all the eye candy in Vista to run that card on that monitor

It maybe the "latest' drivers are not necessarily the best and you maybe better to revert to an earlier driver.

Did you let Windows update the video card driver or download from the NVIDIA web site?

Frenchy

Howard Haber wrote:
Mike--
Thanks for your response. Sadly, it seems that I was unable to establish any relation between the Logitech and the problem. I removed
the drivers from the startup as you suggested, and I unplugged the
Logitech device that broadcasts to the keyboard and mouse. I plugged in an ordinary USB (wired) mouse, and rebooted.
The problem still remains, although sometimes it takes a few minutes to trigger it. To recap, I click on the start menu and hover with the mouse over the various menu items. Eventually that triggers the screen blackout, which lasts roughly 5 seconds. This is driving me nuts. Particularly, when I want to scroll down the list of programs to find something.
Am I doomed to wiping the disk clean and starting over again with vista? I do not have the time nor the patience to remove individual software programs (or drivers) one by one to try to find the culprit.

--Howard

P.S. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (with the latest vista driver), and my monitor is (which is a Sun 24.1" LCD Monitor v4)
uses a generic PnP Monitor driver for vista. I installed the monitor five months ago, so it has been working fine long before this problem surfaced.

Mike wrote:
Is your logitech software loading at startup? Run msconfig from the start menu. Click the Startup tab and look for logitech programs. Uncheck the logitech modules. Click on OK. Then reboot. Your logitech programs and drivers should not be running now. See if that isolates the problem to logitech. If so see: http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/150128-logitech-g7-wireless-mouse-problems.html , and google for more with "logitech", "wireless", "problem", "hang", etc. You'll probably find an answer. Also go to the logitech site and make sure you have the latest software and drivers for your devices.

"Howard Haber" <haber@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%aGGk.2597$as4.1584@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have noticed a particularly strange behavior on my windows vista system (a Dell Optiplex GX270), that just started recently. Here it is. When I call up the start menu (not the classic style), and my mouse hovers in that region of the screen for about 10 seconds or so (whether I am looking through program lists or whatever), the whole screen will suddenly go dark for about five seconds (for no apparent reason) and then return to the previous state.

This is of course quite frustrating when I am going through the program list looking for a particular item. This blackout can occur a few times before I finally reach my target in the start menu. This seems to have nothing to do with UAC (which is turned on). This odd behavior started after I replaced my Dell wired keyboard and mouse with a wireless keyboard and mouse (Logitech).

In case the latter has something to do with this, I plugged in a wired USB mouse and removed the wireless mouse from the room. However, the same problem remained. (Windows update recently upgraded to Vista SP1, but this was a few weeks ago, so there does not seem to be any connection.)

I can find no help on the web, and I don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this problem.

If anyone out there has any suggestions (short of wiping my disk clean and starting all over again), I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Howard