Re: Please help.... can't delete files

"news.microsoft.com" <anon@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OZyGhBHKJHA.5060@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I posted this on several Vista groups in desperation. I can't get control of my own computer although I'm the only user. I can't understand the complicated directions given to OWN my own PC so I can delete unwanted files downloaded to it in error from a backup external drive.

I'm the admin and only user on my Vista comp and can't delete old files I no
longer want. How do I delete these unwanted files and why don't I have
complete control over my own PC? How do I disable all these unwanted
"safety" features in control of my PC?

How do I get rid of the annoying popup windows asking for permission to do almost everything? It's becoming torture using this Vista machine but I'm stuck with Vista until the warranty runs out.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!! How the hell do I get control away from Windows and OWN my own machine?

An administrator user on Vista does not have full Administrator rights for security reasons.

Fight click Windows Explorer and choose Run as Administrator. Now try deleting the files.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

  • Re: Boot Up Error
    ... It's a Compaq computer that was bought with Vista pre-installed. ... If the computer is clean and the problem still arises, manage your Startup: ... How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista - ... If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, ...
  • Re: Please help.... cant delete files
    ... I can't understand the complicated directions given to OWN my own PC so I can delete unwanted files downloaded to it in error from a backup external drive. ... How do I get rid of the annoying popup windows asking for permission to do almost everything? ... It's becoming torture using this Vista machine but I'm stuck with Vista until the warranty runs out. ... An administrator user on Vista does not have full Administrator rights for security reasons. ...
  • Re: Ballmer: =?UTF-8?B?4oCYV2luZG93cyA3IHdpbGwgYmUgVmlzdGEsIGJ1dA==?= =?UTF-8?B?IGEgbG90IGJl
    ... Windows7 will be a lot better than Vista. ... vista the CRAPPIEST version of windows since windows ME! ... Unlike previous versions of Windows, when an administrator logs on to a computer running Windows Vista, the user’s full administrator access token is split into two access tokens: a full administrator access token and a standard user access token. ...
  • Re: VS2005/Vista issues
    ... It must be run as administrator, ... I'm successfully running VS2005 sp1 on vista from a limited user account. ... You mean that if you don't need obscure debugging functionality then Microsoft is lying when they put up that prompt recommending use of administrative privileges? ... In principle, use Windows 2000 or Windows XP on the development machine, and use Vista on the target machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Windows Passwords
    ... I have been on my new computer w/ Vista for about a year. ... I was considering setting the password as Administrator but am concerned ... I have read selected portions of "Windows Vista ... I am also familiar with creating the Password Reset Disk, ...