Re: Chkdsk

I tore my hair out over this problem today, and finally found a solution
that worked for me.

This time when I scheduled the chkdsk (I used the command prompt but I
don't think that would have mattered), I then ran msconfig from an
elevated prompt, selected "boot" and selected safe mode.

Then I clicked OK and rebooted. Chkdsk worked correctly in safe mode.

Linda

--
lindamoran57

  • Re: Problem with recycle bin?
    ... > with my recycle bin. ... Run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt and see if that helps. ... No you don't have to go to safe mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: boot problems - please assist
    ... I can't seem to get a command prompt through the 'safe mode with command ... it seems you cannot get into Windows. ... It's well worth your while to select bootup to "Safe mode with command prompt". ... Run CHKDSK in XP Recovery Console: ...
  • Re: HD damage or ?
    ... checked at boot time and chkdsk is run on those that are dirty. ... The Command Prompt will appear and it will do the disk check when the ... Command Prompt by pressing the F8 key prior to Windows loading - ... A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 0x0000007B
    ... Safe mode with networking ... Safe mode with command prompt ... Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, ... My problem is i can't follow any of the advice because my laptop won't turn on to do a virus scan and i don't know very much about hard drives and how to configure them seeing as i recently bought the laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: A different Packard Hell
    ... inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully... ... start, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last ... Selecting safe mode or safe mode with command prompt, ... Many thanks for your responses - chkdsk reported an error but it seems ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)