Re: Vista won't start

Maccoy wrote:

Having a problem with our HP laptop. All we get when turning on the unit
is the "Microsoft Corporation" traveling bar screen, and then the mouse
arrow pops up on a black screen, and that is the end of it. Have done
the hard drive and memory tests with both checking good. Can get to the
F11 Recovery screen, but not sure how to proceed on that screen w/o
losing (unfortunately not backed up) picture, music, and other important
files. Any potential help out there? Thanx!

The very first thing to do is retrieve your data. That way no matter what
happens, you won't lose your stuff. And when this is all over, create and
*implement* a backup strategy to external media because Stuff Will Always
Happen.

Pull the laptop hard drive and put it in a USB external drive enclosure.
Attach this to a working computer and copy off your data.

Now you can try the HP recovery if you like. Read the instructions
carefully. Most of the HP recovery routines will give you a choice to save
your XP install or to do a destructive recovery which will return the
machine to factory condition.

Since I don't know the recent history of your machine, I can't guess the
underlying reason for the problem. Viruses/malware? Physical problems like
overheating, dropping it, etc.?

At the very least if the less destructive restore doesn't work, you can
restore to full factory condition. If you still get problems, then you know
hardware is at fault and can contact HP tech support for
repair/replacement.

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair
shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Windows will not boot under any circumstances!
    ... want to see if your laptop will boot. ... Recovery Process from the Partition get before it fails? ... Then try to see if it will boot. ... you mentioned that i could use AVG to make a bootable CD/DVD thingy... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Cannot Boot From Xp Disc
    ... Switching the hard drive from one computer to another is likely to do more harm than good. ... Disable automatic restart on system failure. ... Start-Up and Recovery, System Failure and uncheck box before ... earlier about doing system restore on my husbands laptop. ...
  • A notebook walks every 53 seconds. ABT.V a solution?
    ... They have a 97% recovery ... few glitches having to do with my outdated laptop software, ... in Vancouver, British Columbia. ... Laptops--Absolute licensed the Lojack name from the car theft recovery ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)
  • Re: need info laptop compaq vista non sp1
    ... A friend gave me his hosed laptop to fix. ... tried in laptop, xp copies files, and when it starts to install xp, it says drive not found. ... of how many recovery CDs have been burned. ... for cases where the hard drive is dead, and the recovery partition ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: machine will only boot in safe mode
    ... a friend of mine windows XP Toshiba laptop won't start up properly. ... safe mode with networking ... did you try a system restore? ... Any XP installation CD will work for booting into the recovery console. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)