Re: windows\system32\config\regback\software

Hello Nigel,

Thank you, I stand corrected I have RAID 1 applied the (2) 500GB Drives
act as (1) Drive, I am using the Intel Matrix Storage Console that is
part of my HP PC. If (1) drive fails I am protected.

Thank you,

Jeff

barman58;852677 Wrote:
I have my (2) 500GB drives set up for RAID 0, so if 1 drive fails the
other takes over> > Hi Banjo,

Are you sure you mean Raid 0 Here? that will not give you the backup
option you may want

- RAID 0 (striped disks) distributes data across several disks in a
> way that gives improved speed and full capacity, but all data on all
> disks will be lost if any one disk fails.

- RAID 1 (mirrored disks) could be described as a backup solution,
> using two (possibly more) disks that each store the same data so
> that data is not lost as long as one disk survives. Total capacity
> of the array is just the capacity of a single disk. The failure of
> one drive, in the event of a hardware or software malfunction, does
> not increase the chance of a failure nor decrease the reliability of
> the remaining drives (second, third, etc).

- RAID 5 (striped disks with parity) combines three or more disks
> in a way that protects data against loss of any one disk; the
> storage capacity of the array is reduced by one disk.

- RAID 6 (less common) can recover from the loss of two disks.

- RAID 10 (or 1+0) uses both striping and mirroring.

above from the article in Wikipedia
'RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID)

As to the scheduling of this backup you may be able to alter the
schedule in task scheduler

--
Banjo200

  • Re: Building a file server - advice please
    ... > connecting up 5 drives in a RAID5 system does not affect the Mean Time To ... > important reason to use a RAID system. ... Hardware controllers generally can have an additional spare disk configured ... Hardware raid presents each raid array to the host as one disk, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Is it HighPoint, is it Seagate, or is it Windows 2000 Professional
    ... Then I tried to boot my system: Windows reported ... Barracuda disk running off a HighPoint HPT370A RAID ... never new that my drives were set up this way. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)
  • Re: Is it HighPoint, is it Seagate, or is it Windows 2000 Professional
    ... As you've discovered Raid 0 has no fail safe redundancy, ... Then I tried to boot my system: Windows reported ... Barracuda disk running off a HighPoint HPT370A RAID ... never new that my drives were set up this way. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)
  • Re: Paul and Old Man: Cannot fix RAID5 failure ...
    ... all of the sudden the Intel Matrix Storage ROM showed Rebuild status. ... When booting form RAID, there is some activity while the screen is black, ... Considering 3 SATA drives spining up after powerdown may cause a 12V ... I was considering a parallel WinXP installation on a 4th disk, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Paul and Old Man: Cannot fix RAID5 failure ...
    ... Considering 3 SATA drives spining up after powerdown may cause a 12V ... Now I need to concentrate on raid array or data recovery (if still ... I removed the drive reported in error, no boot or rebuild. ... I was considering a parallel WinXP installation on a 4th disk, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)