Re: "You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:)" message.

"Stacy B." <StacyB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:AF931909-1948-4072-9EB9-C441963BD39A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__________
Greetings,
I have been recieving "low disc space, recovery D" notices for some time now
and don't seem to be finding a fix I feel applies or that I want to risk
trying. Is this a windows Vista Premium issue or a manufacturers (Dell 530
inspiron) thing? Single hard drive with partician for D.

I believe my Windows "backup" was preset to backup to "Recovery drive D"
(why is that even an option?) for some reason and I was unwittingly using it
as such. Now I have the disk full + message fequently.

Is there a way to accurately and safely identify and remove my
inappropriately "backed up" files from that disk (D)? I do have the DVD's for
the original OS, drivers,ect.

Also; would/should new "Windows updates" automatically be stored onto the
"Recovery d." I have been reluctant to download them since stoage there is
maxxed out.

Any other options for feedback/research, or links gladly accepted.

Thanks, Stacy B.
______________

"Robert Judge" wrote:

On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The back-up
apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
disk.

Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
"Low Disk Space
You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."

When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both have
"0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.

When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a message:
"An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."

If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.

I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came already
installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June
6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some other
way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will appreciate
advice.

The recovery partition is sized by the manufacturer to hold only the recovery stuff and enough space such that no 'lack of space' warning is produced by the system..

Windows Backup is not set by default to save to the recovery partition. What it does is look for any drive or partition which isn't the system drive, because backups should NEVER be saved to the same drive where the operating system is.

In your case, the only other drive or partition just happened to be the recovery partition.

To clear what you have backed up to the partition, you need to know the name file(s). If you are not sure, go through the process of backing something up and see what name is given. Cancel the backup, and then look on the recovery partition for something very similar. Then delete whatever you find.

If you want to backup, either use the CD/DVD burning software, or purchase a one touch backup solution (external hard drive and software package).

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

  • Re: Is there any disk image software that recovers from bad media?
    ... > recover from a bad disk error as your describing. ... The problem with backup software is that it is a logical backup, ... recovery. ... it read the files instead of the sectors. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Is there any disk image software that recovers from bad media?
    ... > recover from a bad disk error as your describing. ... The problem with backup software is that it is a logical backup, ... recovery. ... it read the files instead of the sectors. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: help to recover images
    ... backup, ... System restor would not even show up and recovery console was the only ... I suspect that it will erase all data currently on the disk. ... with a correct xp instalation cd, it only gives me the option to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Backup and Recovery
    ... I contacted HP and I was able to order a backup recovery disk for just $13.86 including tax and shipping. ... My laptops came with pre-installed Windows Vista. ...
  • Re: copying the hidden XP recovery partition
    ... containing a copy of XP Pro and what is called the "Product Recovery ... Not only would you "lost the only copy of the OS" should your HDD "go ... backup system that you would employ on a routine basis; ... I was wondering how you can copy the hidden Recovery disk ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)