RE: "You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:)" message.

__________
Greetings,
I have been recieving "low disc space, recovery D" notices for some time now
and don't seem to be finding a fix I feel applies or that I want to risk
trying. Is this a windows Vista Premium issue or a manufacturers (Dell 530
inspiron) thing? Single hard drive with partician for D.

I believe my Windows "backup" was preset to backup to "Recovery drive D"
(why is that even an option?) for some reason and I was unwittingly using it
as such. Now I have the disk full + message fequently.

Is there a way to accurately and safely identify and remove my
inappropriately "backed up" files from that disk (D)? I do have the DVD's for
the original OS, drivers,ect.

Also; would/should new "Windows updates" automatically be stored onto the
"Recovery d." I have been reluctant to download them since stoage there is
maxxed out.

Any other options for feedback/research, or links gladly accepted.

Thanks, Stacy B.
______________

"Robert Judge" wrote:

On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The back-up
apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
disk.

Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
"Low Disk Space
You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."

When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both have
"0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.

When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a message:
"An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."

If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.

I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came already
installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June
6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some other
way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will appreciate
advice.

  • Re: copying the hidden XP recovery partition
    ... containing a copy of XP Pro and what is called the "Product Recovery ... Not only would you "lost the only copy of the OS" should your HDD "go ... backup system that you would employ on a routine basis; ... I was wondering how you can copy the hidden Recovery disk ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: How can I back up a log-shipped database?
    ... This means that a later log backup from the production database will not just be ... able to add the log records to the log-shipped database, because the transaction log has been ... It's clear I don't understand the whole RECOVERY business. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Task Scheduler service - access is denied
    ... > preparation for doing the recovery from backup, ... Further, my backup software (Stomp's ... >>>Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: ...
  • Re: truncate transaction log
    ... recovery mode you must do a full backup to allow point in time recovery ... Here is how a bulk logged operation such as BCP of 1 million rows works. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Disappearing .bkf file
    ... I used Windows backup to create a .bkf file and later went to restore it onto another Win XP computer. ... boot disk option, make yourself a CD, for future reference. ... VSS and can copy the C: OS partition while the OS is running. ... one of those BKF recovery spammer-dudes. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)