Re: windows\system32\config\regback\software

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 14:38:53 -0500, barman58 <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have my (2) 500GB drives set up for RAID 0, so if 1 drive fails the
other takes overHi Banjo,

Are you sure you mean Raid 0 Here? that will not give you the backup
option you may want

- RAID 0 (striped disks) distributes data across several disks in a
way that gives improved speed and full capacity, but all data on all
disks will be lost if any one disk fails.

That's correct, except that in practice RAID 0 usually proves either
*no* improved speed or such a tiny amount that it can be ignored. The
one thing it mostly does is dramatically increase the risk to what's
on the drives; that tiny increase in performance (if any) is not worth
the greatly increased risk.

- RAID 1 (mirrored disks) could be described as a backup solution,

I completely disagree.

Most people completely misunderstand what RAID 1 is all about.
RAID 1 (mirroring) is *not* a backup solution. RAID 1 uses two or more
drives, each a duplicate of the others, to provide redundancy, not
backup. It's used in situations (almost always within corporations,
not in homes) where any downtime can't be tolerated, because the way
it works is that if one drive fails the other takes over seamlessly
and almost instantly.

Although some people thing of RAID 1 as a backup technique, that is
*not* what it is, since it's subject to simultaneous loss of the
original and the mirror to many of the most common dangers threatening
your data--severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, user
errors, virus attacks, theft of the computer, etc. Most companies that
use RAID 1 also have a strong external backup plan in place.

Read my thoughts on backup here:
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=314

Also read here: Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29

using two (possibly more) disks that each store the same data so that
data is not lost as long as one disk survives. Total capacity of the
array is just the capacity of a single disk. The failure of one drive,
in the event of a hardware or software malfunction, does not increase
the chance of a failure nor decrease the reliability of the remaining
drives (second, third, etc).

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: Beginning to think about VMware and SCO 5.0.5
    ... faster 15K drives will provide ... I am now gun shy of SCSI RAID: On 6/12 I was called at 19:50 ... the two RAID1 disks in the primary were down ... and the nightly backup was restored to it. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: linux raid vs hw raid
    ... old fileserver hardware I have on hand. ... But, as you probably know, these drives are reasonably ... desktop-class drives as JBODs and using mdadm to RAID them. ... want to move to bigger disks. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Western Digital "MyBook" as RAID?
    ... Now the docs say you can configure even this 1 HD version for RAID although that only creates two mirrors on the same disk. ... If you just like the idea of duplicate files why not get two Network attached HD and schedule a script to copy files from the "working" drive to the backup drive on a nightly/weekly basis? ... The nice thing about this WD LAN drive is that it allows a connection of one USB drives. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: New computer case - 23 bay
    ... I wouldn't mind going down the two separate cases route, ... o Selling your disks and moving to fewer large capacity disks ... What I think you should consider is RAID 6... ... All SCSI 10K drives. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: linux raid vs hw raid
    ... arrays from partitions, not just whole disks. ... RAID on partitions is a great idea, I'm using it here with 6 x 1TB ... drives for the RAID, and a 2TB drive for backup, bounce buffer. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)