Re: Chkdsk

ssapounas wrote:
I am currently running Vista Home Edition, and when I went to back up I
got an error messgage that said something in the effect of corrupt
operating system. I ran chkdsk to reveal a good bit of bad sectors,
however when I run chkdsk /f I get a message that says unable to lock
drive. Anyone have any suggesstions?

Go to ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES and then You will see the COMMAND PROMPT. Right click on it and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Then in the new screen type

When it says "Do you want to schedule this at next start', tap the Y key and enter.
Then reboot to restart as normal and now CHKDSK runs. Go and have a few beers, it takes a while and it reboots at the end with everything fixed

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cant empty Recycle Bin
    ... I ran chkdsk with /f and later /r each time no problems were found. ... problem clears every time I reboot but this lasts only a short time. ... In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the volume you want to ... the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. ...
  • Re: CHKDSK killed my OpenGL subsystem
    ... Auto-fixing ChkDsk (or really in this case, AutoChk) ... unattended servers would want reboot on errors ... the HD's own firmware "fixes" rotting sectors on the fly; ...
  • Re: Check Disk
    ... required chkdsk on that partition on each reboot. ... I ran the 'Enable Check Disk Upon Boot' to re-enable auto ...
  • Re: CHKDSK Wont Run
    ... Start | Run | MSconfig Put a tick in Diagnostic startup, ... After rebooting try a chkdsk c: ... My defrag won't run until I can get chkfsk or NDD ...
  • Re: Cannot open volume for direct access
    ... every time I would reboot I ... I ran chkdsk C: /x on cmd. ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... MaraJo hunted and pecked: ...