Re: Chkdsk

ssapounas wrote:
I am currently running Vista Home Edition, and when I went to back up I
got an error messgage that said something in the effect of corrupt
operating system. I ran chkdsk to reveal a good bit of bad sectors,
however when I run chkdsk /f I get a message that says unable to lock
drive. Anyone have any suggesstions?

Scott:sick:

Go to ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES and then You will see the COMMAND PROMPT. Right click on it and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Then in the new screen type

CHKDSK /R/F

When it says "Do you want to schedule this at next start', tap the Y key and enter.
Then reboot to restart as normal and now CHKDSK runs. Go and have a few beers, it takes a while and it reboots at the end with everything fixed

Frenchy

  • Re: Cant empty Recycle Bin
    ... I ran chkdsk with /f and later /r each time no problems were found. ... problem clears every time I reboot but this lasts only a short time. ... In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the volume you want to ... the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. ...
  • Re: CHKDSK killed my OpenGL subsystem
    ... Auto-fixing ChkDsk (or really in this case, AutoChk) ... unattended servers would want reboot on errors ... the HD's own firmware "fixes" rotting sectors on the fly; ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Check Disk
    ... required chkdsk on that partition on each reboot. ... I ran the 'Enable Check Disk Upon Boot' to re-enable auto ...
  • Re: CHKDSK Wont Run
    ... Start | Run | MSconfig Put a tick in Diagnostic startup, ... After rebooting try a chkdsk c: ... My defrag won't run until I can get chkfsk or NDD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cannot open volume for direct access
    ... every time I would reboot I ... I ran chkdsk C: /x on cmd. ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... MaraJo hunted and pecked: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)