Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)

Answer at the bottom

"RSudds" <RSudds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:85E91904-7BA2-42A6-8D07-279DB42B8818@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I selected shadow backup for changes since my last backup, it looks a all the
files and then has started backing up files I know haven't changed (unless
Picassa changes pictures by looking at them in the viewer). What is the 3rd
party program you use?

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

I prefer a 3rd party backup program and cannot discuss the built-in Vista backup software, but if you are not getting a 14 DVD backup, then you are not getting a true incremental backup and most likely are not running the program correctly. Even a "Full Backup" should not take 14 DVDs,

"RSudds" <RSudds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:5D2247CB-362D-450E-B6F5-83D5E31C9E42@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
But it doesn't seem truely incremental. Right now Vista is happily backing
my daughters pictures (who went to college a month ago and hasn't touched any
of the files since the last backup). Why does the third "incremental" backup
take 14 DVDs (and about 15 hours, unless you sit and watch) just like the
first backup?

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

"douglasl" <douglasl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:0FC8125B-3AFD-49B4-85CE-B77E22899CC6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It seems to me that Vista's built-in backup supports only 1 model: a full
backup the 1st time, and incremental backups forever thereafter. Since I back
up to an external hard drive, this is eventually going to leave me no option
but to delete all my backups and start over from scratch.

1. Am I missing something in Vista's built-in backup?

2. Acronis True Image Home seems to be the most recommended 3rd-party
option. Any objections? Their Web site implies support only for 32-bit Vista
(by mentioning 64-bit XP explicitly, but NOT 64-bit Vista). Does it support
64-bit?

Thanks for your input! -Doug

What was the backup technique you were expecting?
Almost all backup software are designed for a full, followed by incremental backups.
that way you only backup the second, third, etc. the files that changed.
Except for compressing the files to save space, I don't see your problem.
Maybe you did not explain it correctly.

Remember, you really hope you never need your backup.

I happened to pick Genie Backup Manager
But any of the following are good.
Genie Backup Manager www.genie-soft.com
Acronis True Image www.acronis.com
Norton Ghost www.Symantec.com
Shadow Back www.warmandfuzzylogic.com
Easy Backup 3 www.ajsystems.com
Nova BACKUP www.novator.com
Win Backup www.liutilities.com

  • Re: Incremental backups = full hard disk drive (sooner or later)
    ... I selected shadow backup for changes since my last backup, ... Picassa changes pictures by looking at them in the viewer). ... "Richard in AZ" wrote: ... Almost all backup software are designed for a full, followed by incremental backups. ...
  • Re: Gentoo on Sun Ultra 5
    ... > backup software doesn't handle moves, ... and incremental backups on top of it on CD-RW until I run out of CD-RWs, ... renames, deletions, and hard links properly. ... > Doing rsync once a day over the whole disk takes a bit of time, ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Acronis True Iimage 10
    ... in the meantime I am using Acronis Secure Zone. ... The fact that you're storing the backup files ... Generally speaking we prefer to use incremental backups rather than ... the last differential image you created. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SBS 03 - New Install with couple of questions
    ... Regarding NTbackup and an incremental backup, I think you'd nee the /um ... switch to use any tape in the drive. ... SBS Rocks! ... > As far as incremental backups the main reason why I needed this is that I ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: partition sizes for a 10.6 system and 2 system backup(s) on a 2 tb external drive?
    ... Once the full backup is done the first time the TM ... uses this information to do incremental backups. ... backup disks looking for new or modified files. ... I guess I'll just hope yours was an against the odds bad luck streak or that I get lucky and avoid the curse. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)