Re: Full PC Backup Problems

Unless you plan to use RAID configurations, basic disks asre recommended -
technically dynamic disks are partitioned into volumes.

"> I made the decision to do a Vista Full PC Backup (drives C, D, E, F) to >
an external USB HD (G:) which completed successfully. I then >
reformatted/partitioned Disk 0 as follows: C:= 40, D:= 40, F:=40."

Note that backup restoration would be the original configuration.

"> When I try to run the Full PC Restore, it does not find an existing OS >
(since I reformatted C)."

Restoration must be from the option presented booting from the Vista DVD.

"> I am using my Vista install CD. It does find my backup on the external
HD...but it sees it as Drive E. > I think this is the problem because it
see the location of the backup
as E:, but the list of Disks to Restore includes E: (which should be >
Disk 1 in my system)."

Should not be a problem - drive designation is set and used by WIN PE which
runs the restore process

"When I try to run the restore, I get a wonky
error (can't remember the exact verbage :o) about %1 or %2 not found."

Important info - %1, %2 are place settings referencing files by default
locations.

"> My only other alternative is to reinstall Vista from scratch. If >
that's the case, is there someway for me to restore specific
files/folders from my Full PC Backup image on the external HD?"

Installing Vista and restoring may work - however keep in mind it will be
the original configuration.

The backup format is VHD - virtual hard drive. You can use vdmount -
utility available from the Win 2003 resource kit on line to "mount" the
backup and access via Windows Explorer...

  • Re: failing & corrupt hdisks & mirror... restore VGs from tape?
    ... brought the system down, physically removed the disks, ... tried to restore vg01 from the tape backup that we had (tape backup ... using restvg for this, and various smitty restvg, smitty lvm methods ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: failing & corrupt hdisks & mirror... restore VGs from tape?
    ... brought the system down, physically removed the disks, ... tried to restore vg01 from the tape backup that we had (tape backup ... using restvg for this, and various smitty restvg, smitty lvm methods ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Rebuild Exchange 2003 SP1 on same hardware
    ... You can (depending on your disk configuration) also leave them. ... rebuilding the server and assigning a drive letter back to the disks, ... Exchange Servers configuration container information from AD. Meaning you ... Depending on what I highlighted in response to 1) You can either restore ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Exchange backup using the wizard on SBS2003 Premium
    ... Understand that what I pasted below is not necessarily a "supported" configuration, but rather offered as an alternative knowing that its not a supported config ... To restore the SBS server from scratch, ... "file based" backup sets on the tapes. ... following the main restore to recover the Exchange data. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Backup/restore WSS
    ... created full backup of the sharepoint from the included tool (the whole ... provided full restore with the "same configuration" setting without any ... Backing up a Web site (from sharepoint central site) creates a content ...