Re: Vista Home Premium damaged by Office 97

"Peter Phillips" <pfphillips 19@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:27vm4p.al2.19.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It now seems that the backup failure wasn't associated with the Office 97 installation. I'm still getting 0x8000FFFF messages. In Microsoft Help and Support they mention the error number, but the explanation seems to be talking about something completely different.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks for any input.

"Peter Phillips" <pfphillips 19@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:27uu2u.7pf.17.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks to everyone for their input on this problem, eventually solved by going back to the factory settings.

For the record, I think what happened was this. Office 97 comes with internet access programs. These conflicted with the OS. Some of the funny results included:

a "Mail and Fax" icon in the control panel, which couldn't be accessed
an "Outlook" icon on the desktop, which also couldn't be accessed (and which disappeared when I did a complete uninstall)
the backup data facility wouldn't work.

My problem now is that I would like to install just the Word and Excel programs from the Suite (because the latest versions of Office are hugely expensive). Obviously, I'll do a Restore to a Point first, in case any other incompatibilities emerge. But surely the risk of this is very low.

Does anyone have any input here?

Thanks again.

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eho3jwCJJHA.3708@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Peter Phillips" <pfphillips 19@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:27tojr.r3u.17.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I bought a new computer this morning. It came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed, and no discs. The guy at PC World said I'd be able to generate Recovery Discs from the PC.

By mistake, I installed Windows 97. This seems to have caused some serious problems, even though I have now uninstalled it.

1. Clicking on the Mail and Fax icon in the Control Panel brings a message that says I have insufficient memory, and need to close some windows, even though I have hardly any open.
2. The Outlook icon has disappeared.
3. I cannot back up my data. The process gives the message: Backup failure, Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF.

None of the restore points is earlier than the Office 97 installation. So how can I repair this mess without having to buy a new copy of Vista, and one on CDs?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pete

Use the manufacturer recovery process. If you do not know what it is, visit the computer manufacturer website and find out.

Alternatively, go back to PC World and get them to do it..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Read through this discussion and see if any of it applies to your problem..

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3177270&SiteID=17

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..

  • Re: Weird SP2 Auto Update Notification
    ... | I have the same star icon and notification shown on my computer, ... | is i cant install security update for Windows XP, ... Now, my computer, has the Windows Update Notification icon in ... When SP2 came out, installation instructions said to update the BIOS, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: KB912812 and KB917425 Setup Canceled
    ... Right below the 2 arrows on the right there is an icon of two files. ... There *may* be info available that describes a resolution for the installation issue. ... Check the System Event log to see if there are any errors under Source for Windows Update Agent. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: Automatic Updates
    ... also include your Windows version, SP-1, 2... ... the updates icon appears at the bottom right of my ... And the icon stays ... > there until I click on it to start installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • Re: Is there a way to verify if SP3 is properly installed?
    ... generic icon. ... I remained puzzled as to why the Windows XP Service ... Windows XP Professional Edition SP3 ... "Service Pack installation did not complete" ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Desktop, no icon, not even START icon
    ... Troubleshooting Windows XP ... Somewhere> along the installation think its 'GUI', it ask a question I CLICK NO, THEN ... > {{"window Explorer" -window explorer has encounterd a problem and needs to ... > In "safe mode",it gives me 'ADMINISTRATOR' icon and User X icon. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)