Vista backup shadow copy error 0x8004230F

I have Vista's automatic backup feature set to do an incremental backup
each evening at 9 pm, when I am not usually using the machine. However,
about one time in 3 it fails with an "unexpected error" as above, in the
"creating shadow copy" stage.
I am aware that a re-boot will fix this and allow backup to run.
However, I already shut down my computer every night so am unwilling to
do an additional restart each evening shortly before the backup is due
to run.
Is there any way to resolve or prevent this error without restarting
the computer?
I've tried re-starting the VSS service after the failure and then
re-trying the backup, but it always fails with the same error and will
not run again until the machine has been restarted.

--
foxycat

  • Re: SBS Server Fails to Reboot after Restore from Backup
    ... If so change the Startup options to NOT reboot on error, ... > I tried to do a restore from the tape backup using the Veritas Backup Exec ... The UI prompted me to restart and when I do I am in an endless ... This means I assumed that a restore from backup worked. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • cant schedule a recording in MCE (pt. 2)
    ... backup of the recodings.xml file and attempts to replace ... were there still recordings ... one each time I restart, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: TWO + WASTED DAYS!
    ... Thanks have superzap program and will attempt to rebuild/recover files. ... as a backup redundant copy. ... I did a system restore the other night, and then came back to today... ... program restart, there always was a saved fiile for restore. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: Extend my primary partition
    ... and set their startup type to 'disabled', restart, ... backup (ensuring files are not in use though really your standard backup ... A USB drive would do nicely to image to/from. ... spare) SCSI drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Veritas 10 Backup with Iomega Rev Drive Problems
    ... > set for full backup each night. ... > 2 - If I restart the server, or even close and restart Veritas, then the ... > It's just a pain trying to get it working after a server restart. ...