Re: Vista Home Premium damaged by Office 97

Outlook was never available, unless you bought Office, lol.
It was Outlook Express.
--
Mad Mike

"Mike" wrote:

Office 97 is not compatable with Vista:
http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/564981-office-97-vista.html

There is no "Mail & Fax" icon in Vista Home Premium's Control Panel. There
is no fax program with Vista Home Premium. The only icon is "Mail"

Outlook is no longer available in Vista. It has been replaced by Windows
Mail.

You should have a recovery disk with your pc. Dell, Toshiba, etc. have
disks to reset your computer to the way it was when you bought it - unless
you bought a custom machine.

You can't generate a recovery disk unless you have a commercial file/backup
restore program (usually one that backs up the HD image) or you have a
Windows Vista installation disk.

Try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt. ALL
PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-right-click on command prompt and choose "Run as
Administrator." This will scan your windows component files and repair any
that may have been replaced by your 97 installation or other faulty
processes.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have to find a way to restore your
computer's OS back to factory. I'd see what the PC World store could do for
me.
"Peter Phillips" <pfphillips 19@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I bought a new computer this morning. It came with Vista Home Premium
pre-installed, and no discs. The guy at PC World said I'd be able to
generate Recovery Discs from the PC.

By mistake, I installed Windows 97. This seems to have caused some serious
problems, even though I have now uninstalled it.

1. Clicking on the Mail and Fax icon in the Control Panel brings a message
that says I have insufficient memory, and need to close some windows, even
though I have hardly any open.
2. The Outlook icon has disappeared.
3. I cannot back up my data. The process gives the message: Backup
failure, Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF.

None of the restore points is earlier than the Office 97 installation. So
how can I repair this mess without having to buy a new copy of Vista, and
one on CDs?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pete

  • Re: Mobile Device Center Question
    ... I mean the native applications to each OS (Win XP or Vista now to Windows ... synching which is provided anyway. ... version), Messaging/Pocket Outlook, Calendar and Contacts. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: Will Outlook 2007 work with Windows 7?
    ... Do you mean that Windows 7 RTM will support Office 2007? ... add-ins that integrate with Outlook, like a PDA/Smartphone, Vista Outlook ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Help on Reply To Post/Reply To Group
    ... > everytime I click on that icon my computer makes a bubble noise and ... > of Outlook Express she is using yet, ... > problems with her school work if she can't get this fixed. ... I am somewhat confused, but I am not using Windows XP, either. ...
  • Re: search not finding files .... my blood pressure is rising
    ... Opening Explorer windows, saving documents and even simple typing can make you wait and wait. ... We've had more reports of excruciatingly slow running Windows Vista, especially with Outlook 2007, and given that Peter's main computer has the same problem, we've spent some time working on the problem. ... The problem seems to be the Windows Vista indexing service when used with a lower level of physical RAM and a lot of items to be indexed. ...
  • Re: Installing XP on Vista possible?
    ... suggest that you should take a step forward (to Windows 7) rather than ... You don't install an operating system on another operating system. ... is one of the reasons you want to replace Vista that you love ... Despite its name being different from "Outlook ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)