Re: Vista Home Premium damaged by Office 97
- From: Mick Murphy <MickMurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 02:19:01 -0700
Outlook was never available, unless you bought Office, lol.
It was Outlook Express.
Office 97 is not compatable with Vista:.
There is no "Mail & Fax" icon in Vista Home Premium's Control Panel. There
is no fax program with Vista Home Premium. The only icon is "Mail"
Outlook is no longer available in Vista. It has been replaced by Windows
You should have a recovery disk with your pc. Dell, Toshiba, etc. have
disks to reset your computer to the way it was when you bought it - unless
you bought a custom machine.
You can't generate a recovery disk unless you have a commercial file/backup
restore program (usually one that backs up the HD image) or you have a
Windows Vista installation disk.
Try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt. ALL
PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-right-click on command prompt and choose "Run as
Administrator." This will scan your windows component files and repair any
that may have been replaced by your 97 installation or other faulty
If that doesn't fix it, you may have to find a way to restore your
computer's OS back to factory. I'd see what the PC World store could do for
"Peter Phillips" <pfphillips 19@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I bought a new computer this morning. It came with Vista Home Premium
pre-installed, and no discs. The guy at PC World said I'd be able to
generate Recovery Discs from the PC.
By mistake, I installed Windows 97. This seems to have caused some serious
problems, even though I have now uninstalled it.
1. Clicking on the Mail and Fax icon in the Control Panel brings a message
that says I have insufficient memory, and need to close some windows, even
though I have hardly any open.
2. The Outlook icon has disappeared.
3. I cannot back up my data. The process gives the message: Backup
failure, Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF.
None of the restore points is earlier than the Office 97 installation. So
how can I repair this mess without having to buy a new copy of Vista, and
one on CDs?
Thanks for any suggestions.
- Prev by Date: Re: Digital TV on PC
- Next by Date: Re: Vista Home Premium damaged by Office 97
- Previous by thread: Re: Vista Home Premium damaged by Office 97
- Next by thread: Re: Vista Home Premium damaged by Office 97