Re: Sp1

Hello Everyone,
I know you must have seen this a thousand times. I have this laptop for
over 2 years now. Today I was offered , for the 1st time, to install SP1
from Windows Updates. Here is my dilemma :
1.) What took so long ? I had not installed or upgraded my computer
since day 1.
2.) After reading all the " horror " stories sent to this forum, I am
uncertain if I should install it . I am quite content with what I have
right now.
Opinions please. Thank you.

Based on my experience I would recommend installing SP1. Even if the install fails - which was the case on my computer the first time - there is a very high probability that it will "roll back" cleanly. If you decide to install I suggest you prepare the system by running Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag first. Back up all critical data, just in case! Then right before the install close all open applications including the ones in the "tray" (with the exception of your antivirus).

  • Re: Sp1
    ... uncertain if I should install it. ... install fails - which was the case on my computer the first time - ... case SP1 failed the first time because of an incompatible sound ...
  • RE: Device Driver Not Recognized on Install
    ... System restore was disabled on the computer involved. ... All windows updates have already been completed. ... >> I have used the linksys install utility that you are ... >> Failed to uninstall the device. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Cant reinstall Office Professional 2007
    ... I am now able to install Windows Updates. ... Because it was an upgrade from 2003, I had to reinstall that before I could ... DL stated I should have stayed with the first thread, ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: frustrated with new computer
    ... >> everything was fine until I tried to install EZ CD Creator Platinum 5. ... > If you have DSL or Cable, purchase a Linksys BEFSR41, Norton AV 2005, ... that you get all the windows updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Update could be made easier by MS ..or not?
    ... posters at times experience problems with the Windows updates and seek help. ... global scale its probably a very small percentage of machines actually ... well over 3 years on its latest install, ... apart from update errors myriads of other minor problems are affecting ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)