Re: Explorer.exe stops running before my desktop is displayed

Hi,

Nope, at this point you'd need a disk to get to the recovery environment.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"David Neilson" <DavidNeilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:E6549137-218D-49C5-B8BD-CA57FC14DEC4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately i tried going in and out, in safe mode and restoring and have
made the sitiuation worse!
Now when I boot up my laptop and enter the intial password, it doesnt get as
far before the the black screen appears, I can't access the task manager, and
now safe mode doesn't work either!
Unfortunately I'm overseas so so dont have my Vista DVD to boot from. Is
there a way of perhaps getting into it any other way, dos, etc? Otherwise its
a trip to the PC doctors!
Thanks.
David.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

Hi,

From Task Manager, on the applications tab click 'new task' and enter
regedit, then click ok. Go to this key:

Double click the shell entry in the right pane, replace the contents with
just:

explorer.exe

and click ok. Close the registry editor and restart the system.

--

> I've suddenly developed a problem when logging on to my laptop. Once I
> enter
> my password, windows starts to load up, but explorer stops working > before
> the
> desktop or anything else is displayed, and produces an error message.
> Clicking on the error message shuts the message down, but leaves a > blank
> black screen. I can load the task manager. I can also load Internet
> Explorer
> by clicking on the 'privacy policy' hotlink at the foot of the error
> message.
> Im running Vista Utlimate.
> Any ideas?
>
> The error massage displayed is..
> 'Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows can check online for a
> solution to the problem.'
> Then two options.. 'Check online for a solution and close the program.' > OR
> 'Close the program'.
>
> The problem details are as follows..
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: BEX
> Application Name: Explorer.EXE
> Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
> Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
> Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> Exception Offset: 01890090
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Data: 00000008
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 5129
> Additional Information 1: fd00
> Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
> Additional Information 3: fd00
> Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
>
> Read our privacy statement:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

  • Re: Explorer.exe stops running before my desktop is displayed
    ... Unfortunately I'm overseas so so dont have my Vista DVD to boot from. ... From Task Manager, on the applications tab click 'new task' and enter ... Windows help - www.rickrogers.org ... Clicking on the error message shuts the message down, ...
  • HELP ERROR
    ... 940 printer error code 50c help ... certificate errors internet explorer help ... computer help error message on startup ... help for microsoft windows errors ...
    (sci.geo.fluids)
  • Re: The server has rejected your login. Please verify that your userna
    ... messages telling me that "The server has rejected your login. ... start windows Mail, I can get new mail, send mail, delete mail... ... Here's my exact error message track: ... Windows Mail with my Gmail account today and I'm running into the same issue ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Control + Alt + Delete
    ... Enable or Disable Task Manager for the Current User ... Microsoft MVP ... Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies: ... plz help, ill be forever ...
  • Re: Unknown user account
    ... Ramesh, Microsoft MVP ... Windows XP Shell/User ... when I try to go on line I get this error message. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)