Re: Explorer.exe stops running before my desktop is displayed

Hi,

Nope, at this point you'd need a disk to get to the recovery environment.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"David Neilson" <DavidNeilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:E6549137-218D-49C5-B8BD-CA57FC14DEC4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately i tried going in and out, in safe mode and restoring and have
made the sitiuation worse!
Now when I boot up my laptop and enter the intial password, it doesnt get as
far before the the black screen appears, I can't access the task manager, and
now safe mode doesn't work either!
Unfortunately I'm overseas so so dont have my Vista DVD to boot from. Is
there a way of perhaps getting into it any other way, dos, etc? Otherwise its
a trip to the PC doctors!
Thanks.
David.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

Hi,

From Task Manager, on the applications tab click 'new task' and enter
regedit, then click ok. Go to this key:

Double click the shell entry in the right pane, replace the contents with
just:

explorer.exe

and click ok. Close the registry editor and restart the system.

--

.