Re: SP1

Hi Andrew, contact MS -

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge
until March 18, 2009.

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
no charge through 18 Mar-09
.. US:
.. CA:
.. UK:
.. AU:
.. Other:
| select Windows Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
How to ask a question:

"Andrew" <noway@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
System: Vista Business Edition, Intel Dual Core 3GHz, 4Gb RAM, 600Gb SATA
HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6600. Zone Alarm, Avast, Windows Defender. Microsoft
Office 2007.

Used to run like a dream - fast, no problems - but not any more.

Installed SP1 this morning via automatic update.

Problem 1: The system runs as if it was made of clockwork and tin cans
with bits of string attached. No - actually slower than that.

Problem 2: could not connect to the Internet. After much stuffing around I
uninstalled two IPv6 devices showing in device manager/network adaptors
and then could connect OK.

Problem 3: IE and Firefox both run like dogs - really, really, really
slow. Closing both IE and Firefox leaves hidden instances of both running
in the background - only visible through Task Manager. It is impossible to
end these processes - they simply do not respond at all, and IE sometimes
shows multiple hidden instances in Task Manager.

Problem 4: Cannot restart or shut down my system - it does not respond to
either command as selected via the Windows button. The only way to shut
down is to physically turn off the power.

Problem 5: If I run Outlook, crashing the system corrupts my Outlook pst
file, although I close Outlook first and wait for a few minutes - i.e.,
Outlook is also not being closed properly. Last corruption - 218 errors
out of 13428 items.

Yes before you ask, I have scanned - with SpyBot S&D, Trend Micro
Housecall, Windows Defender, Avast and AdAware. No threats found - just a
few cookies. And again - before you ask I cleaned up first with CCleaner
and various other tools such as the browser delete temp files options.

Very p****ed off. SP1 has wasted most of my day and screwed up my PC.
Returning to pre-SP1 restore point tonight and turning off auto updates
unless anyone has any good ideas... ? Anyone know what is going on?