Re: Vista Backup - File and Complete PC - many systems to external dri

You can have Complete PC backups (Note "complete" not "files") for different
computers on the same HD - make sure backup names are unique. By expereince
I used one USB HD for both Acronis and Complete PC Backups involving three
computers

"File" backups are in Zip format and can be unzipped through the restore
function or a third party unzipper. The folders can be "treated" same as
any other - regarding taking ownership would depend on assigned permissions.

Backing up files can create big files (some reallly "big") - reconsider
using removable media (CD/DVD).

"emcinerney" <emcinerney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
As the resident computer guru in the family I'm required to manage
multiple
systems. For backups I have an external drive that I bring to each
computer
to backup to. Are there any issues with backing up multiple Vista machines
(both File and Complete PC) to the same external hard drive?

I found a good article describing the Vista backups in a bit more detail
than the limited help documentation gives,

A Guide to Windows Vista Backup Technologies
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137798.aspx

but it too lacks any information on backing up multiple Vista systems to
the
same external hard drive.

Specifically, I see that the backup creates the file "MediaID.bin" in the
root of the backup drive. Is this a system specific file that will cause
problems in this case?

What is the best method of managing historical backups? The folder created
for each individual computer supposedly contain .zip files. Is it OK to
take
ownership (grant NTFS access) to myself to these folders and delete older
backups, or will this cause problems? Is it possible/OK to burn these
files
to CD/DVD manually (to create multiple copies for offsite storage) or do I
have to go through the entire backup process twice with different
configurations (once to the external drive and again to burn to optical)?

  • Re: AfterMarket Inks VERY Reliable-President AMIIC
    ... external hard drive for backup and I also have DVD copies as well. ... DIGITAL FILES DON'T FADE!!!! ... There are several computers in our house and ... hard drives are cheap, dependable, much faster and now with the USB boxes ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • RE: Reconfiguring a Small Business Server using the Wizards.
    ... <Subject: RE: Reconfiguring a Small Business Server using the Wizards. ... <For the computers, we can move the computer accounts to SBSComputers OU. ... <For the backup, you can run the SBS Backup wizard to configure the it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: XP Pro Backup Utility
    ... I now notice that you are using the path to a root folder. ... going to connect have administrator rights on both computers. ... still cannot get the backup utility to work. ... Computer 2 (this is the network share where the bkf is supposed to ...
  • Re: AfterMarket Inks VERY Reliable-President AMIIC
    ... I don't disagree with you that we are drunk on documenting things now that it has become cheap and accessible. ... Years ago only wealthy people owned cameras or had access to developing, and so an occasional family portrait wa steh only documented image most families had. ... I work out of the basement doing civil engineering and land development so we have plenty of computers laying around and this is probably not the norm, although I would think networking has become the norm nowadays. ... external USB hard drives are cheap and plentiful and are well within the financial reach of the average person to employ one or two of these for backup duty. ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: IT time forMaintenance
    ... "Kerry Brown" wrote: ... >> information that I can get from other people that manage networks. ... >>> the repercussions of such settings on the computers. ... > biggest financial gains will probably be backup related. ...