acpi.sys cpu utilization

I have a 3GHz dual core with 8GB of ram on Vista 64 bit and the "system"
process, that normally should only be a couple of percent, is always around
47%, regardless of what I do to the system (one of the cores is always at
95-100%). Using process explorer it's showing that it is the acpi.sys
process and I'm unable to do anything to that thread. The actual start
address within process explorer is
"acpi.sys!DeRegisterOpRegionHandler+0x48cc". I have tried to disable all
power aspects of the pc from within the bios (full disable and change from
ACPI capable to standard mode), this causes Vista too not boot...trying to
change the PC type from within vista to a standard pc is not accepted by the
OS. Any thoughts? I'm dreading a re-install from scratch.

  • Re: acpi.sys cpu utilization
    ... I have the exact same problem on a Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista Home ... that it occurs coming out of sleep mode. ... Using process explorer it's showing that it is the acpi.sys ... ACPI capable to standard mode), this causes Vista too not boot...trying ...
  • Re: SVCHOST.exe Keeps on Running and Ruins My Computers Performance!!...
    ... many other Windows users are getting ... it might be an unfixed bug in Vista, ... Process Explorer will allow you to look inside each Svchost.exe and see what it is hosting. ... You go to menu View/Show all DLL/Lower Pane and it will show everything a svchost.exe is hosting. ...
  • Re: SVCHOST.exe Keeps on Running and Ruins My Computers Performance!!...
    ... I am told it might be one or more viruses that does this, and I've been told it might be an unfixed bug in Vista, but no square answers. ... I am now seriously thinking of copying my whole disk to an outboard memory and reintalling Linux on my machine instead of Windows Vista, as no one seems to want to address this issue in the Vista world, even though it is obviously a very prevalent problem. ... Process Explorer will allow you to look inside each Svchost.exe and see what it is hosting. ... You go to menu View/Show all DLL/Lower Pane and it will show everything a svchost.exe is hosting. ...