Re: out of memory error

Start using a pagefile again. Some programs demand that a pagefile be present to function correctly.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Andy Fish" <ajfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23fwjeP$FJHA.1460@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

I have a laptop with 2gb RAM running vista and I currently have the page file disabled (that's another story). I have just had a message saying windows is running low on memory and I need to close some applications (even though i'm hardly running anything)

when I look at task manager, I can see about 300mb used by running applications, but 1200mb is used for the cache

so, vista has run out of physical memory because it's decided to use all the memory for caching, leaving none for applications. and that means I need to close down my applications???

please, please, someone tell me vista is not that dumb. is there a sensible explanation for this?

Andy

  • Re: Windows XP SP2 working very slow
    ... strongly you disagree not many knowledgeable users ... Most users want to run applications not remove them. ... See how much use of the pagefile your system is using. ... 256MB is plenty of memory for XP...I'm guessing the problem would be the ...
  • Re: Virtual memory size (OSX.4.6) ?
    ... This results in a Virtual Map of the potential memory needs for the appliations, BUT NOT ONE BIT OF MEMORY HAS BEEN GIVEN TO THE APPLICATION YET. ... Now as the applications is launched code and data are paged into memory from the application file and the run-time libraries. ... An application may dynamically allocation additional memory as it run. ... I've only one thing to add, and that is what happens when you run out of the current pagefile space. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Memory size over 1GB
    ... It is better to set Windows to manage its own pagefile size.. ... always use a pagefile at some point, regardless of the memory installed.. ... Upgrading from 512mb to 1gb will enable applications like Word to pop up ...
  • Re: Windows XP SP2 working very slow
    ... but to only startup at boot those that one uses a lot. ... out that indeed he does need more memory, then by all means, get it. ... Most users want to run applications not remove them. ... See how much use of the pagefile your system is using. ...
  • Re: scf /scannow & INFO in Event Viewer
    ... I know all about restore to ... pagefile to a low end of 2, ... The memory used by the user's ... Virtual Memory: Total paging file size for all drives is 2046MB ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)