Re: out of memory error

If you don't have a pagefile, windows will use existing RAM as the
"pagefile" for those functions that are designed to use a pagefile and will
not release this memory until something forces it to be released, but this
is usually after you get the warning of low memory.

Additionally, it may not release enough to start the demanded program in
it's first pass resulting in the program failing to start.

"Malke" <malke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Andy Fish wrote:

Hi

I have a laptop with 2gb RAM running vista and I currently have the page
file disabled (that's another story). I have just had a message saying
windows is running low on memory and I need to close some applications
(even though i'm hardly running anything)

when I look at task manager, I can see about 300mb used by running
applications, but 1200mb is used for the cache

so, vista has run out of physical memory because it's decided to use all
the memory for caching, leaving none for applications. and that means I
need to close down my applications???

please, please, someone tell me vista is not that dumb. is there a
sensible explanation for this?

The sensible explanation for this is that you disabled your page file.
Enable it again. If you use a lot of memory-hungry programs (Photoshop,
CAD, etc.) then add another 1GB of RAM.

Malke
--
MS-MVP