Re: out of memory error

If you don't have a pagefile, windows will use existing RAM as the
"pagefile" for those functions that are designed to use a pagefile and will
not release this memory until something forces it to be released, but this
is usually after you get the warning of low memory.

Additionally, it may not release enough to start the demanded program in
it's first pass resulting in the program failing to start.

"Malke" <malke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Andy Fish wrote:

Hi

I have a laptop with 2gb RAM running vista and I currently have the page
file disabled (that's another story). I have just had a message saying
windows is running low on memory and I need to close some applications
(even though i'm hardly running anything)

when I look at task manager, I can see about 300mb used by running
applications, but 1200mb is used for the cache

so, vista has run out of physical memory because it's decided to use all
the memory for caching, leaving none for applications. and that means I
need to close down my applications???

please, please, someone tell me vista is not that dumb. is there a
sensible explanation for this?

The sensible explanation for this is that you disabled your page file.
Enable it again. If you use a lot of memory-hungry programs (Photoshop,
CAD, etc.) then add another 1GB of RAM.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Disabling the page file doesnt really disable it. A bug?
    ... amount of RAM installed as a "default" guide to set the pagefile size. ... Note - Windows will always create and utilize VM regardless ... thereby having them more accessible (faster memory access). ...
  • Re: Slow to open files
    ... Current Pagefile Usage: 80 MB ... Current Pagefile Usage: 1130 MB ... If you already have 1GB of RAM, ... If you are currently using the page file significantly, more memory ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Slow to open files
    ... Current Pagefile Usage: 80 MB ... Current Pagefile Usage: 1130 MB ... If you already have 1GB of RAM, ... If you are currently using the page file significantly, more memory ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows uses 4 GB? Really?
    ... I bought 4 GB of RAM because I thought it would speed up my system a bit. ... Some info that is posted here as reference seems to suggest that it is a Windows issue, but others seem to suggest that it is also a hardware issue. ... "I have install total 4GB memory on my motherboard. ... On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Pagefiles & XP taking progressivly longer to "Load personal Settin
    ... Windows is taking progressivly longer every day too log in after booting ... Paging Files (aka virtual memory). ... Despite having 1 gB of mem, why does widows still insist i need a 1.5 gB ... Why does windows still swap data to the pagefile, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)