Re: out of memory error

with respect, that's not an explanation at all - let alone a sensible one

if i was using a lot of memory hungry programs and I didn't understand
virtual memory concepts, that would be a reasonable solution

as I said in the orignal post, I was not using memory heavy programs - the
committed memory was mostly in use by vista's cache. this is just not
sensible behaviour for an operating system.

"Malke" <malke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Andy Fish wrote:

Hi

I have a laptop with 2gb RAM running vista and I currently have the page
file disabled (that's another story). I have just had a message saying
windows is running low on memory and I need to close some applications
(even though i'm hardly running anything)

when I look at task manager, I can see about 300mb used by running
applications, but 1200mb is used for the cache

so, vista has run out of physical memory because it's decided to use all
the memory for caching, leaving none for applications. and that means I
need to close down my applications???

please, please, someone tell me vista is not that dumb. is there a
sensible explanation for this?

The sensible explanation for this is that you disabled your page file.
Enable it again. If you use a lot of memory-hungry programs (Photoshop,
CAD, etc.) then add another 1GB of RAM.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: out of memory error
    ... I have a laptop with 2gb RAM running vista and I currently have the page file disabled. ... I have just had a message saying windows is running low on memory and I need to close some applications ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. ...
  • Re: SCO spending lots of time in spin locks
    ... At this point I have seen same effect within scall/s, ... Explanation below from man pages (as you have ... Application memory pages has paged to disk and now the ... Fork uses COW: When application calls forkdata pages are actually ...
    (comp.unix.sco.programmer)
  • Re: BBC: Could water really have a memory?
    ... :> low-temperature thermoluminescence (or, to be more precise, a later paper ... to most of the "experienced chemists" in the audience. ... :> your explanation so that I can refresh my memory. ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • Re: out of memory error
    ... I have a laptop with 2gb RAM running vista and I currently have the page ... windows is running low on memory and I need to close some applications ... vista has run out of physical memory because it's decided to use all ...
  • Re: reincarnational data
    ... young childrens have described places in their past lives ... Search on Elizabeth Loftus and recovered memory syndrome. ... Another phrase you might want to look up is "confirmation bias." ... Turned out there was a rational explanation. ...
    (talk.origins)