Re: computer BSOD's on me CONSTANTLY

Thank you for clarifying the issue,
Michael

"Ian D" <taurus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:utUNYJ6EJHA.768@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Phillips" <afn18721@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23wHbsO0EJHA.5732@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I doubt SP1 has a real fix for the 4GB issue cause that is a physicsal x86 memory registers limitation - very roughly, 32-bit CPU can use/address max 3.2GB RAM. Nothing can be done here except move to a 64-bit CPU.

What SP1 does is to show (pending mobo BIOS) system RAM instead of Vista available RAM (4GB vs 3.2GB) but the x86 CPU cannot use more than 3.2 GB - of which, anyways, some is reserved for hardware: graphics, sound.

At this moment, I would test the RAM - either Memtest86 or Vista's own memtest.exe.

Michael

A full 4GB of address space can be addressed by a 32 bit CPU. Some of
this address space is reserved for hardware and video card addressing, so
those addresses are not available to RAM. The available RAM varies
from approx 3.0 GB to 3.5 GB depending mainly on the amount of video
card memory.

The 4 GB issue mentioned by the OP is not related to this. It is in reference
to pre SP1 stability issues, (Stop errors), in both 32 and 64 bit Vista when
4 GB of RAM is installed. This issue was limited to specific chipsets.

  • Re: Would a 2nd processor really be a waste of time???? help
    ... > buy another processor and more ram, however this is what one supplier ... > Your server has only 1 processor. ... installation including changing the bios settings and installing the smp ... The second cpu will probably help ...somewhat. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: D600 review isnt that great (some aspects)
    ... It takes a lot longer for Bridge to assemble the viewing ... there's the RAM use chart as well. ... Dynamic CPU clock-speed monitor ... I don't know if CaptureNX can handle a GPU, ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: D600 review isnt that great (some aspects)
    ... It takes a lot longer for Bridge to assemble the viewing ... there's the RAM use chart as well. ... Dynamic CPU clock-speed monitor ... I don't know if CaptureNX can handle a GPU, ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: TECH: Williams Stargate Problems
    ... I'm 99.999999% sure that it's the CPU ... boards and not the Input Widget or ROM board since I tested all the CPU ... the RAM errors, I would like to switch all the ram to 4164 (hope that's the ... As a last resort on Ram errors, ...
    (rec.games.video.arcade.collecting)
  • Re: IIGS Acceleration Idea
    ... from the ram refresh to the slot timing to the mainboard and slot RAM addressing. ... To speed up the IIgs you'd have to implement a new CYA chip to produce all the timing and address signals for the main board plus the faster clock for the IIgs. ... Replace the CPU with a high speed CPU and simple 20x clock circuit. ... you will have to redesign Apple //e or Apple IIgs motherboard. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)