Hibernate and Restart problem

Whenever I try to hibernate, the laptop would take a while... which it's
fine, 'cos it isn't exactly top of the line, since its for college use only.

However, instead of hibernating (eventually), it restarts.

What's the problem and is there a solution to this?

In addition, whenever there's an orphan/zombie process running, the computer
just *won't* restart, even if i told it to. And from the looks of another
thread i posted, which is about killing that kinda processes, it does not
seem like there's a way to.

Is there any other way to restart the system (since I just can't kill the
affected processes), other than killing LSA or shutting off the power?

  • Re: Monitor Does Not Turn ON After Restart/Reboot
    ... From SAFE MODE I was able to update the Video Card driver ... many confuse hibernate with standby. ... computer went into Hibernate mode, and the monitor powered down, the ... When I restart the system, I get the initial boot screen and the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Maintaining the State of the application after restart.
    ... Hibernate is a completely different mechanism from reboot. ... snapshot of the memory image is made and written to disk. ... In restart, the entire memory image is, in effect, erased, the hibernation file is nuked, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Difficult Shut Down
    ... such as hibernate, shut down, restart, etc. ... switch user, suspend, and hibernate" buttons. ... Not a good idea to force shutdown as you describe. ... Click that and see if the choice to quit is there. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Difficult Shut Down
    ... Leonard Chatagnier wrote: ... such as hibernate, shut down, restart, etc. ... switch user, suspend, and hibernate" buttons. ... Not a good idea to force shutdown as you describe. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Turn Off Computer options missing "Hiberbate"
    ... Hibernate, Stand By, Turn Off, Restart. ... SHIFT key while the mouse pointer hovers over the Stand By option to ... without having to toggle it with the mouse and SHIFT key? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)