Hibernate and Restart problem

Whenever I try to hibernate, the laptop would take a while... which it's
fine, 'cos it isn't exactly top of the line, since its for college use only.

However, instead of hibernating (eventually), it restarts.

What's the problem and is there a solution to this?

In addition, whenever there's an orphan/zombie process running, the computer
just *won't* restart, even if i told it to. And from the looks of another
thread i posted, which is about killing that kinda processes, it does not
seem like there's a way to.

Is there any other way to restart the system (since I just can't kill the
affected processes), other than killing LSA or shutting off the power?
.