Re: So slow so slow

"martins77" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ad473afa31e818c1a63b4b7a9261ed12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm trying to copy the files in my user account to a new user account
(I need to change name on my user folder) but it is so slow... Now I
have a rate of 3MB/s, the limit of the disk should be 3GB/s. I have set
the disk to optimized performance... why is it so slow? The RAM is only
used to about 50% and the CPU is only at 5% so there are a lot resurces
to use... please why was windows 3.11 faster than this..

No hard disk is that fast. Real life write performance is between 40MB/s and 110MB/s. Without knowing what type of hard disk you have it would be hard to say where you should lie.

But then, that would be burst performance while transferring a single large file. Lots of small files will slow things down considerably. And if you're reading and writing from the same disk, that'll cut speed again, by over half isn't unreasonable.

CPU performance won't effect it, the bottlenecks will be the speed of the hard disk, the PCI bus and the controller.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

  • Re: WELL AND TRULY OT: Computer Advice
    ... I notice that this situation is particularly pronounced with Windows for Mac, ... computer runs out of RAM it starts to swap things between RAM and disk. ... Hard disk failure, in my experience, is the ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: WELL AND TRULY OT: Computer Advice
    ... At a guess your machine is either short of RAM memory or the hard disk is ... Anything that you might recommend for a Mac, ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Copy an ide hard disk
    ... disk to a larger one for my laptop pc. ... I tried to clone the hard disk on my laptop computer to an external hard disk. ... The recovery and OS + application & data partition copy worked fine but failed while copying the data partition. ...
  • Re: Repair install of windows server 2003 on IBM x3650 Server
    ... The only solution to this problem is this: Take out the hard disk and put it ... windows server 2003 keeping all the files and settings. ... I had never touched an IBM server. ...
  • Re: Duplicating Hard Drives
    ... Most new hard drives come with a disk copy utility, ... and use that utility to dupe the hard disk. ... This assumes you have one partition. ...