Re: Run Program on Critical Battery Level

I had considered this, and in fact that's how I have it set up now...

However, the same event is logged whether I manually put the PC to sleep or it goes to sleep due to a power event, so far as I can tell...

There's got to be a registry entry for it somewhere, I just have not been able to locate it. I find it unlikely that Microsoft would remove functionality. I find it more likely that they would hide potentially dangerous functionality so as to protect those who do not understand the implications of just "running a program" on a power event...

-- ET

"Rick Rogers" <rick@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eXT9rVOEJHA.3616@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I should think you'd be able to do this with Task Scheduler by setting an event trigger.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Megabyte" <etingley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:A35E2ECD-7EA8-41DB-8621-5B5F7C3013D5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I found a post asking a similar question to this, but the answer does not really help me, so I'll ask again.

I'm looking to find out how to run a program (or script/batch file preferably) that will autorun when the battery reaches critical level.

The reason I ask is that I have my PC and a Western Digital MyBook World Edition network drive connected to my UPS. For those who don't know, it runs a version of linux, and I have hacked into the box and added a pointer that looks for a connection on a specific port and when it gets one, shuts down the box properly.

Since I have my PC hibernate when my UPS is almost dead, I'd like to run a script that launches telnet to a specific host on a specific port. When that completes, Hibernate.

This was easy in XP, as there was a "Run Program" option in the power options. I can't seem to find it in Vista.

Please help,

Thanks
-- ET

  • Re: Run Program on Critical Battery Level
    ... For those who don't know, it runs a version of linux, and I have hacked into the box and added a pointer that looks for a connection on a specific port and when it gets one, shuts down the box properly. ... Since I have my PC hibernate when my UPS is almost dead, I'd like to run a script that launches telnet to a specific host on a specific port. ... as there was a "Run Program" option in the power options. ...
  • Run Program on Critical Battery Level
    ... For those who don't know, it runs a version of linux, and I have hacked into the box and added a pointer that looks for a connection on a specific port and when it gets one, shuts down the box properly. ... Since I have my PC hibernate when my UPS is almost dead, I'd like to run a script that launches telnet to a specific host on a specific port. ... as there was a "Run Program" option in the power options. ...
  • Re: Need advice on power management
    ... In general, if you are not concerned about power, leaving the PC ... | if power goes off while in this state, the data in memory will be lost). ... | In Hibernate mode, XP saves the data in memory to the hard disk. ... | Maintenance | Power Options. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Run Program on Critical Battery Level
    ... it goes to sleep due to a power event, so far as I can tell... ... a script that launches telnet to a specific host on a specific port. ... When that completes, Hibernate. ...
  • Re: What is the name of the Hibernate program?
    ... Power options is set to hibernate when power button is pressed. ... the power button NOTHING happens except the battery light flashes. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)