Re: RAM

I, and probably many others, would have to say Vista x64 has come a long way
on the compatibility issue. I have yet to run into a problem with x64
compatibility since Vista was released.

"Victek" <Victek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello
I hope you can help me with an issue :
My PC is Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 2.66GHz windows Vista Ultimate 32
bits 8,00GB ram. My brother wants my 2 2GB memory dim because he says
32
bits systems don't recognize RAM over 4GB.
The system says 8GB, and the motherboard Asus
P5E CHIPSET X38 supports 8GB. Is he right and I have 4 more GB Ram for
nothing, or is the ram ayhow helpfull and I showld keep it as it is ?

Thankx

Maria Dulce

Unfortunately 4 gigs is the maximum that a 32-bit OS can use. In fact,
because some of the address spaces are reserved for hardware (such as the
ram on the video card) the OS actually only has 3.X gigs available to it.
Try reducing the ram to four gigs and observe your PC's performance - you
should not see any difference. 64-bit OS's exist, but there are still
compatibility issues. They are the future though, so you're brother may
have to return the ram in a year or two <g>.

  • Re: RAM
    ... compatibility since Vista was released. ... Unfortunately 4 gigs is the maximum that a 32-bit OS can use. ... ram on the video card) the OS actually only has 3.X gigs available to it. ...
  • Re: OT - Memory upgrading
    ... from more RAM, but as far as gaming is concerned there's just not that many ... games, if any, that really benefit. ... of having to deal with 64 bit driver support and program compatibility. ... RAM execute *much* better in Vista x64, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Wintel PC limited in RAM it can access, even with Vista.
    ... Steve de Mena wrote: ... many Original Equipment Manufacturer PC assemblers represent their machines as supporting 4GB of RAM even though the operating system can't actually make any use of a big chunk of it. ... However, even with Santa Rosa-style hardware that can make use of the full 4GB, the mainstream 32-bit Windows Vista still won't use more than 3.2GB or less because it can't remap MMIO. ... Have they forgotten about Vista x64? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: File corruption consecutive to SATA2 disk to disk transfer => how to detect it ?
    ... with GSkill immediately showed the corruption problem. ... P35-DS4 was supporting PC8500 2GB modules and did not use any RAM ... for compatibility and leave out all "optimizations" that decrease ... servers are not designed for playing but for being in a data ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: RAM Compatibility with XP
    ... fully compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM ... RAM configurations. ... manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility ... relating to the memory being useless as it is not compatible with xp. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)