Re: "Injecting" RAID into a functioning Vista build

Good afternoon, Mike.

Thank you for the reply. I guess I should have specified that my OS would
go on the RAID0 as well. The information you provided unfortunately
addresses new OS installations only. That defeats the purpose of not wanting
to reinstall the OS and all associated programs.

Jeff

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

"Jeff C" <JeffC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello, all.

I have a current Vista Home Premium (32-bit) build. I have 4 WD 160GB
SATA
drives, non-RAID. I also have an external backup solution. My
motherboard
supports software RAID through an Intel controller. Here's what I would
like
to do:

Go from a non-RAID setup to a RAID 0 configuration, without having to
reinstall Vista (along with everything else currently installed).

I have taken a full system backup, changed the drives into a RAID0 config,
then restored the OS et. al from backup. Yet when I try booting, the
system
crashes. In my understanding, this is because the RAID drivers are not
installed in my backed up configuration. (At least, this is what would
make
sense to me.)

So, the question is, how can I "inject" the RAID drivers into my current
build of Vista, take a backup of that build, switch the drives to RAID0,
restore the backup, and have my system come up cleanly?

Thank you in advance!

Jeff

Take a look here..

BUT, read these two first..

http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=24

http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

  • Re: Neuer Computer, aber Raid 0
    ... Raid0 hat keinerlei Sicherheit durch redundanz. ... sind die Daten ebenso in ernsthafter Gefahr. ... also eine einzelne Platte. ... sogar schon ein Backup vom Backup. ...
    (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.festplatten)
  • Re: Pata & Sata ?
    ... Convert your current RAID0 array to a RAID1 array, then restore the image from the external HD. ... The dire warning to backup data ASAP should be the standard battle cry regardless of the drive arrangement. ... I've run RAID0 on C: for 18 months with no issues, and recently set up another for my storage volume. ... I do backup important files hourly and automatically with batch files and clone C: once per week, rotating five drives in mobile racks, one off-site. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: running OS from a rescue CD
    ... And many people report improvements, no different than any other hardware configuration, depending on what you do with the computer. ... with and without RAID0. ... > Although some people thing of RAID 1 as a backup technique, ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience ...
  • Non-Raid to Raid0 in Vista 64
    ... I'm trying to change my system from non-raid to Raid0 with no luck. ... After doing alot of research it seems that I may need Raid drivers. ... I don't want to reinstall windows. ... 4GB Ram running Vista Home Premium 64 SP2. ...
  • Re: Non-Raid to Raid0 in Vista 64
    ... Is there a particular reason you think you need a Raid0 configuration? ... After doing alot of research it seems that I may need Raid drivers. ... I don't want to reinstall windows. ... 4GB Ram running Vista Home Premium 64 SP2. ...