Re: DVD rw drive not reading!!!!!!!!!!

Nonny wrote:

You repair computers for a living. Would replacing a laptop optical
drive be a really expensive undertaking? More expensive than buying
an external USB drive?

It depends on the laptop and whether the mftr. still has replacement parts
for that model. Since the OP has Vista and Vista is still fairly new, more
than likely the replacement parts are available (and the laptop may still
be under warranty). The best solution would be to replace the part rather
than use an external USB drive. The data will not move nearly as quickly
(to be burned) over the USB bus as it will using the internal drive.

I had to buy a replacement optical drive from Dell for a laptop that was
more than several years old and IIRC it was around $50. External burners
from NewEgg start at about $55.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • HP PARTS
    ... Hp Pavilion Dv8300 Parts ... Hp Laserjet Parts ... Hp Ze4365us Laptop Parts ... Hp Laptop Replacement Parts ...
    (sci.stat.math)
  • Re: Pzavillion dv2555nr--dead video--need help
    ... Since I can't get the machine to boot, ... Does the laptop boot and display something when an external monitor is ... If so, then there hope for some sort of replacement, maybe the ... which means the motherboard is pretty useless. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hardware)
  • Re: Inspiron Laptop Repair Return to Dell Update
    ... Called for repair the night of 6/23/10, ... never seem to update the service tag on replacement board to match the ... perhaps your laptop was one ... screen dangling from one full hinge and one broken hinge, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: OT: need advice on next step with my crappy laptop
    ... Dell has put 6 motherboards in my current laptop, a display, 2 keyboards, a hard drive, a new DVD drive, 2 new power adapters, cooling fan replacement, heatsink replacement - basically everything *but* the little cover on the memory expansion slot and the screws holding the laptop together. ... diagnosed it as a motherboard issue, but since he doesn't do internal ... Basically gamble on the repair. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: CMOS Battery location
    ... BIOS password and I didn't even know what that was or even that it ... Unlike desktop computers where it is possible to reset BIOS passwords by removing the CMOS battery or setting a jumper on the motherboard, most laptops store their password on a flash ROM chip that retains the setting even when no power is being supplied to it. ... you can find people that are selling replacement password chips. ... These require you to remove the motherboard from the laptop, unsolder the existing chip, and solder in the new chip. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hardware)