Re: "You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:)" message.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:48:00 -0700, richard j <richard
j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have had the same problem with RECOVERY D: being full.
I also used the Backup routine and it filled D:

Did you find a solution?
Did you delete the backup from D: ?
If so How did you do this?

Two very important points here:

1. First of all, that Recovery Partition on D: is *not* there for you
to put backups on it. The manufacturer of your computer put it there
in lieu of supplying you with a Windows DVD. It's there for you to
restore the system to factory condition, should it become necessary.
Do *nothing* with that partition other than following the
manufacturer's instructions (if they provided them) for burning its
contents to a DVD.

2. Even if that (or some other) partition were available for use as
backup, that would be the single worst and weakest form of backup
there is. It is better than no backup at all, but just barely. It
leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup
to many of the most common dangers: user errors, severe power
glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the
computer. Real backup needs to be on media stored externally to the
computer.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: Partition help
    ... change that makes the current clone outdated. ... I also backup email and the email address book to the external hard drive on ... the idea of backing up to a partition on the same hard drive ... your HDD. ...
  • Re: XP System Backup. ASR No floppy drive
    ... My own choice would be to install a fresh copy of Windows and then run restore using that. ... hoping to use System Tool Backup to create ASR. ... but says Invalid or damaged bootable partition when I ... The KB actually discusses which USB CD drives that the XP ...
  • Re: Partition help
    ... separate all program data into into its own "data" partition, ... A partition for backup is only very slightly better than having no ... A precise copy whereby should your day-to-day HDD fail or your ... the program can create subsequent disk clones of the source HDD usually at ...
  • Re: Partition help
    ... separate all program data into into its own "data" partition, ... A partition for backup is only very slightly better than having no ... A precise copy whereby should your day-to-day HDD fail or your ... create *incremental* disk clones following the creation of the original ...
  • Re: Clone OS to HD via DOS and Clean Install XP?
    ... There's a problem inherent in the backup concept: ... I defrag after large uninstalls/deletes or before big installs, ... >than a single partition for the whole physical drive. ... Big HDs are not much more costly than small ones ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)