Re: Can you run batch files in Vista?

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:39:58 -0700, "Steve Turner"
<stevezygote@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On my XP machine I ran a batch file that replaced notepad with metapad, a
really great ascii text editor. Here's the link:

http://liquidninja.com/metapad/

It offers a method of replacing notepad in Vista. Is there some way to
automate this?

Why can't you just set Metapad to be your default text editor?

Click the start orb, type "default programs" in the start-search box.

Choose whichever method you wish to set the default.

Here are the instructions...

A: Here's one method:

Open up a privileged command line prompt
Take ownership of the old notepad.exe with takeown /f
c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
Grant yourself full control with cacls c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /G :F
(replace with your username) See example below
The files in vista have to be copied in this order as well. Good luck

takeown /f C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\notepad.exe
cacls c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /G richard:F
copy /-y notepad.exe C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

takeown /f C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\notepad.exe
cacls c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /G richard:F
copy /-y notepad.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache

takeown /f c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
cacls c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /G richard:F
copy /-y notepad.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32

takeown /f c:\windows\notepad.exe
.