Re: SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:21:03 -0700, smicale
<smicale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am seeing a SVCHOST.exe using a about 116,360K of memory on my Vista
machine. I have ran all my ONECare antivirus/spyware tools and nothing is
coming up as a problem. I see that the Super Fetch service seems to be the
one that is hogging all this memory. When I stop that service it releases
the memory. Is this normal? What can I do to fix it? Thanks!

There is nothing abnormal about all the SVCHOST entries you see.

Stopping any service that is running will release some memory. The
trick is to figure out which ones you need and which ones you don't
need.

You can look at Startup in MSCONFIG and disable those items one at a
time (and reboot) to see if you need all of them. And there is more:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm

Proceed with caution.

  • Re: Start up memory hogs
    ... numerous programs setting up residence in the memory and reducing capacity. ... of what I saw in MSconfig was garbage. ... When you go to remove the entry, and if you used msconfig to disable it, then you won't see it under the normal registry keys used to startup items. ... Run lusrmgr.msc, Users node, pick your account, and look at the Profile section to determine if you have a logon script. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Dell One Day Deal..... 4/18/06
    ... Is here anything I can do to this economy laptop to speed it up? ... The biggest thing you can do is fill it with memory. ... and msconfig overlap to some extent. ... Get and install this freebie program: ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Browser hijacking- New unknown problem/spyware/virus detected!
    ... > I don't know how to make adaware scan memory. ... where can I find that MSCONFIG Startup tab? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Mouse freeze
    ... Do you have any suggestions about mouse freezing? ... I'm suggesting that you could probably make more memory available and lower ... because programs like these have to run when windows starts. ... Here is a freeware that can also modify your msconfig for you. ...
  • Re: MSEdit
    ... It was MSConfig, not MSedit. ... to be able to start>run>msedit and get a screen showing what was running in memory and also what was in the startup list. ... Now when I enter the msedit I get a no program found. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)