Re: Solid state disk makes vista slower not faster

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 03:07:02 -0700, Mick
<Mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well I'm on a learning curve here but why are they being installed into
laptops then which wouldn't normally have a data disk?

To lengthen time between recharges of the battery. Those systems are
probably optimized somehow for that type of drive.

Mick

"Steve Thackery" wrote:

I don't know the answer to your problem, but are you sure you've done the
right thing?

SSDs have a distinctly limited number of read/write cycles. I would think
that normal paging file activity would eat up your SSD life very quickly
indeed.

Also, SSD isn't really faster. It has much lower seek times (because it
doesn't actually need to move the head, obviously), but the data throughput
is similar or slightly slower than a normal hard disk.

I thought SSDs were not recommended as the system disk, but rather as data
storage.

Or have I misunderstood?

SteveT

.