Re: Solid state disk makes vista slower not faster

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 03:07:02 -0700, Mick
<Mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well I'm on a learning curve here but why are they being installed into
laptops then which wouldn't normally have a data disk?

To lengthen time between recharges of the battery. Those systems are
probably optimized somehow for that type of drive.

Mick

"Steve Thackery" wrote:

I don't know the answer to your problem, but are you sure you've done the
right thing?

SSDs have a distinctly limited number of read/write cycles. I would think
that normal paging file activity would eat up your SSD life very quickly
indeed.

Also, SSD isn't really faster. It has much lower seek times (because it
doesn't actually need to move the head, obviously), but the data throughput
is similar or slightly slower than a normal hard disk.

I thought SSDs were not recommended as the system disk, but rather as data
storage.

Or have I misunderstood?

SteveT

  • Crazy constant disk I/O when swap is disabled
    ... It's got 1 gig of RAM and two SSDs. ... no swap file/partition because I don't want my SSDs to die again. ... megs in disk cache -- only about half of RAM was actually used). ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".
    ... modern SSDs can burn out in half an hour on ... when disk drives first came out many decades ago, ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Advice on system purchase
    ... be highly beneficial for just about any workload that is using random I/O. ... when you work on a spreadsheet, you are not creating a lot of disk I/O. ... When you compress or uncompress a tar archive, you are CPU limited. ... see how you prefer SSDs. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: HD replacement
    ... But I would like a painless replacement of the ... The HD has originally XP Pro OEM installed from MS disk when I build the ... If you are thinking of the OCZ Core SSDs that are getting cheaper, ... most manufacturers use a single platter of their current range density for ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: PostgreSQL+ZFS
    ... xlog storage or use zfs as disk buffer cache. ... Is your problem with RAID5 or the SSDs? ... RAID 5 on SSDs is sort of odd though. ...
    (Debian-User)