Re: Where is my 3.5 inch floppy?

You have many options.

A lot of Vista machines don't have a floppy drive.
The bays are there, so you have the option of installing one if you really want that old tech hooked up to your new machine. Check for a floppy controller first, before you *buy* a drive. The other illiterate couldn't spell 'buy'. In some name-brand machines, there isn't even a controller to hook up a drive cable to.

In that case, you'd have to get the information another way.
Either network the computers, transfer to CD or DVD (Vista originally ONLY came on DVD), or USB key or memory stick.

The floppy bay also conveniently, is the same size as the flash drive interface.
Vista boot disks are DVD or CD. Do a backup!

"Steve Turner" <stevezygote@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uTgyjQY7IHA.4652@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am totally new to Vista. I just bought a new computer and it has an OEM version on the HDD.

Well, surprise, surprise! I don't have a 3.5 floppy. I do on my old XP based machine. And I've got a lot of stuff stored on floppies. How can I access this in Vista?

In addition, how can I boot from a floppy in an emergency when there IS not floppy?

Thanks.

  • Re: BootStrap & newbie questions
    ... > If bootstrap is a program in a floppy that have the control of CPU ... it needn't be a floppy disk (though that's one of the easiest ... Also, on the older machines, most machines actually "booted" off of ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: [opensuse] WTF?! NO floppy in Lucid or in Meerkat!
    ... make use of and stick with older technology because it works for them. ... a USB for my newest system since I only need to use a floppy ... About half our machines still have a floppy, but I can't say we use them much. ... For me, I've switched to USB sticks for installing Linux, and carrying ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Jeff Fox, WTF!?!
    ... Chuck continues to work from a floppy based environment. ... indeed there is a driver for USB. ... Josh Grams has compiled a nice version of '05 that corrects some of ... As to legacy machines, this need not be the case. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Absolute newbie cant install Ubuntu on a w2k machine
    ... number of older machines, and had to junk a CD reaqder the other day. ... CD/DVD Writer is a modern unit and says it can do 52x no problem. ... When I disable HD (so it's just floppy / CD), ... One of my very first installs used a floppy boot and a LAN ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: [RFC] floppy: use single threaded workqueue
    ... I don't use floopies much anymore, but I've got a fair number of machines around that have floppy drives ... I would be installing new builds onto the machines to test them, so you can do testing that locks up the boxes without impacting anything. ... suspect it has gotten almost no testing on real hardware. ... Is anybody a big floppy user (on _real_ hardware, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)