Re: Where is my 3.5 inch floppy?

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 04:55:12 -0700, "Steve Turner"
<stevezygote@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am totally new to Vista. I just bought a new computer and it has an OEM
version on the HDD.

Well, surprise, surprise! I don't have a 3.5 floppy. I do on my old XP based
machine.

This has nothing to do with XP vs. Vista. Floppies have become largely
obsolete, and very few (if any) new computers have come with floppy
drives for the last several years, regardless of what operating system
they have installed.

And I've got a lot of stuff stored on floppies. How can I access
this in Vista?

Here are several choices:

1. Buy a floppy drive (about $10 US) and install it.

2. Buy an external USB drive (slightly more expensive but doesn't need
installation).

3. Burn the contents of your floppies to CDs on your old computer or
on the computer of a friend with a floppy drive.

I would personally pick choice number 1, but all of the above work.

In addition, how can I boot from a floppy in an emergency when there IS not
floppy?

You don't. If your drive is NTFS, a floppy with DOS on it couldn't see
it anyway (at least not without special software).

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
.