Re: Where is my 3.5 inch floppy?

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 04:55:12 -0700, "Steve Turner"
<stevezygote@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am totally new to Vista. I just bought a new computer and it has an OEM
version on the HDD.

Well, surprise, surprise! I don't have a 3.5 floppy. I do on my old XP based
machine.

This has nothing to do with XP vs. Vista. Floppies have become largely
obsolete, and very few (if any) new computers have come with floppy
drives for the last several years, regardless of what operating system
they have installed.

And I've got a lot of stuff stored on floppies. How can I access
this in Vista?

Here are several choices:

1. Buy a floppy drive (about $10 US) and install it.

2. Buy an external USB drive (slightly more expensive but doesn't need
installation).

3. Burn the contents of your floppies to CDs on your old computer or
on the computer of a friend with a floppy drive.

I would personally pick choice number 1, but all of the above work.

In addition, how can I boot from a floppy in an emergency when there IS not
floppy?

You don't. If your drive is NTFS, a floppy with DOS on it couldn't see
it anyway (at least not without special software).

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: Need opinion on Dell vs. HP on SCO 5.0.7
    ... tape drive and the osr5 driver & only the osr5 driver, tape drives are ... While installing that box I needed, *needed*, a floppy drive ... it to arrive via shipping before I could proceed to install the box! ... If Dell or Compaq offer support for installing/configuring/maintaining the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Unable to load Intel RAID drivers from floppy drive on Asus P5B-E
    ... I set up the hard drives as IDEs, although they are connected by SATA ... install the RAID drivers behind the OS's back, ... Windows and pressing F6, then S, to install third-party RAID drivers. ... When I use the motherboard's CD to make a floppy disk with the drivers ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Between a rock and hard place
    ... This laptop does not have a floppy drive. ... If I were to take this a new HD and hang it on my own PC and I put the XPhome CD into my CD drive, is there a way to install the OS from the original restore disk to a this proposed new HD which shows up on My Computer as a local HD with its own drive letter. ... made the first partition 78GB and FAT32. ... and it is too bad that slim laptop drives haven't ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Installing SBS with Raid 5
    ... A USB floppy drive *might* work if you had one. ... without some kind of driver already on there. ... Poweredge 2850 SBS2003 install ... and SBS is saying it doesn't see any hard drives! ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Installing SBS with Raid 5
    ... page for Windows 2003 and SBS 2003, the potential requirement for a floppy ... of device-specific software during the Windows Server install process. ... When I try to install SBS, ... "Setup did not find any hard drisk drives installed in your computer." ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)