Re: Windows Vista SP1 - Altering Indexing options reduce boot-time?

For Me, Disabling The Index Service AND The Windows Search Service
Eliminated Much HD Thrashing. Also I Disabled (Unchecked) The Indexing
Option For My HD's.

Before I Did This I Tried Windows Desktop Search 4. It Took Quite A
While For The Index To Complete But, After That, Search Activity Was
Lower. It Still Thrashed At Boot ( In My Case, Restart) But It Wasn't So
Bad.

Still, It Drove Me Nuts. Hence The Disabling Of Services.

It Still Does Some Indexing Activity, E.G. My Menu Search Has Not Been
Effected And Documents Is Still Quite Fast. However, I Now Enjoy Much
Faster Access To My Desktop And Only About 4 Minutes Of Initial
Thrashing Which Doesn't Really Affect Performance During That Time.

The Other Side Of This Is That I Usually Have Some Idea Where To Start
Searching Or I Know Where Something I Want Is. It Is Very Rare That I
Have To Search The Entire Disk.

Something To Consider, Vista Does Quite A Bit Of Pending
Renames?Deletes After Most File Operations.

See Here:
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingDeletes
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames

--
Avatarrr
Avatarrr's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=52492

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Vista Indexing Question
    ... SERVICES.MSC and disabled the Windows Search service. ... However, when going to the Properties of my C: drive, the check mark is ON for indexing my drive. ... Isn't simply disabling the Windows Search enough for stopping all indexing??? ...
  • Re: OT - reining in svchost on XP
    ... to kill my hard disk long before its time, ... I haven't tried disabling all those services, ... But I certainly turned off indexing, ... which requires a command prompt window, and a command which I can't remember. ...
  • Re: [opensuse] Thunderbird 3 problems
    ... behaviours in TB3? ... It also defaults to indexing everything. ... disabling those. ... Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Spotlight crap.
    ... That was my main point in replying to Nashton! ... should Spotlight get when you plug in something new, ... HD is indexing I have found absolutely no restriction to my normal usage due ... nowhere have I suggested that the disabling of Spotlight as ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Spotlight crap.
    ... Sorry Wally - I'm going to go with Nashton on this one. ... should Spotlight get when you plug in something new, ... HD is indexing I have found absolutely no restriction to my normal usage due ... nowhere have I suggested that the disabling of Spotlight as ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)