Re: Wake-up doesn't always work

Dave T. wrote:
When my computer goes to sleep, I can wake it up by pressing a mapped key on my keyboard. The problem is that sometimes I have to press the key 5 or 6 times before vista will wake up. This also shows up when it is time for a scheduled task to take place, such as backup. I scheduled a wake-up in task scheduler, but sometimes it fails. Can someone clue me how to trouble-shoot this problem?

Dave T.

Thanks for the replies, I have found the solution to my problem after several days of searching:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929463/en-us

It turns out that task scheduler will not wake up the computer when the task is created in the "Create basic task" mode. The task must be created in the "Create task" mode. (Huh?) The creation in EITHER mode is identical in every respect. Same dialog boxes, everything. The only difference is that one will awake the computer from sleep, the other will not even though you can specify the wake up in either mode.

IMHO, this is a perfect example of the wrong-headed over-engineering of an application and under-engineering of the help files that Microsoft is famous for.

--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

  • Re: Task scheduler doesnt wake computer
    ... Dave T.;786938 Wrote: ... 'The Task Scheduler does not wake the computer to run a scheduled task ... I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed. ...
  • Re: High Definition Audio Controller Waked Dell XPS M1710 from Sleep
    ... My laptop does not wake from sleep, but then it is XP so not really apropos. ... My desktop (Vista) does wake itself up from the hibred/sleep mode to perform various tasks. ... On my Vista XPS410 desktop I only have one task in Task Scheduler that is set to wake the computer, ...
  • Re: Task scheduler doesnt wake computer
    ... Dave T.;787211 Wrote: ... I've set Task Scheduler to wake up my computer at a specified time, ... I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly ...
  • Re: Task scheduler doesnt wake computer
    ... Dave T.;786938 Wrote: ... I've set Task Scheduler to wake up my computer at a specified time, ... 'The Task Scheduler does not wake the computer to run a scheduled task ...
  • Re: Firewall adaware keeps shutting off
    ... well actually you can use the Task Scheduler to wake up the computer ... I wake up my computers that have been turned off very often, through a WoL ... And finally, yes, you can set Task Scheduler to turn a (ACPI) computer on, ...