Re: games cause shut-down

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:09:03 -0700, roy
<roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a HP Pavillion (refurbished)with Vista Home Premium,
1.00 gb of ram
Athlon 64 x 2 dual core 4400+ at 2.30gz
nvidia geforce 6150 se nforce 430 video card
asus A6203w motherboard
80 gig hard drive

My computer will shut down in the middle of playing simple games. I have a
Hidden expeditions game that in certain scenes the fan in the computer goes
into high gear. I thought it might be a memory problem, but not sure as I am
a novice at this. This problem also happened on one of the games that came
preloaded on the computer. I know Vista is supposed to take up alot of
memory( so I am told), but I would have thought 1 gig was enough.

No. How much memory you need for good performance varies, depending on
what apps you run, but almost everyone needs at least 2GB for Vista.

But that shouldn't cause the computer to shut down. I don't know
causes the shutting down problem, but my first suspicion would be
overheating.

When I was
going thru some of the details on the nvideo card, it said it had no on-board
memory but was using a page file.

I don't understand that sentence at all. It makes no sense, I'm
afraid. Can you quote it verbatim, please?

the page file has 1193 mb. Is this enough
memory to run programs, if not, what would you recommend.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: in Vista Hell / Adobe Purgatory
    ... gives you the reason to go get that new video card you have had your eye ... (My machine is Vista ready ... ... For some reason the North American ... it rapidly ran up the memory to over 2 GB and then ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: What do you sugest for an upgrade?
    ... Im going to be using all this for games and connecting my DV camcorder to ... It should have the fastest FSB and Cache and about 4 PCI slots, 3 memory ... first video card slot and the PCI slots. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • RE: NEW Computer low on memory error in WMP
    ... of ram memory you could still have "low on memory" errors if the virtual ... Is it a Vista update gone wrong? ... I'm running Windows Vista Home ... I'm thinking it's not a video card problem that simultaneously went ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: video memory
    ... Can someone tell me how I can find out how much video memory my ... computer (video card) has? ... I don't know how those options will work with Vista. ... use system memory. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • RE: NEW Computer low on memory error in WMP
    ... All pcs have ram memory & virtual memory.Even if a pc ran with 10GB ... Is it a Vista update gone wrong? ... I'm running Windows Vista Home ... I'm thinking it's not a video card problem that simultaneously went ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)