Re: Refresh Screen problem with screen

JW,
It didn't work as the link to the site asked for money to be paid before
anything could be downloaded but I didn't see the site - I had to go out &
trusted hubby to do it himself.
I have sorted out the problem myself - we took out all the games, then I
went into the registry and took all items out that were left behind by the
games. I then told him to install one of the games, which he did after a
defrag. We updated something - not a driver - and a check disk this morning
and now everything is running okay as far as I can see.

It's helping me learn about Vista but I still won't use it - more buggy than
my XP has ever been. I've had hardly any problems with it and none for about
18 months to 2 years.

Thank you for all the help you gave, I'm just sorry none of it worked.
Cheers

"JW" wrote:

For a latop you can not obtain a driver update from the Nvidia.com Website.
Try again at the sites I suggested in my previous post.
"Anne" <Anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello "JW"
We tried updating the drivers - kept getting an error message saying that
because it was a laptop, it couldn't be done!!!

We went to where we buy our games from, mentioned the proplem to him and
he
said it sounded as if it was the virtual memory not clearing out. Being
more
computer savvy than hubby I had a feeling it was that. He's not the sort
listen when he's made his mind up about something and is usually peering
over
my shoulder.

The guy at the shop is a PC game tech and a computer tech. He'd had the
same
thing happen with one of his games and recommended that we download some
software program that fixes it. So I will be asking for a link to download
it
in another question.

Thank you everyone who has been giving us the help they have. Thank you
JW,
too.

Anne

"JW" wrote:

You should be able to get the latest drivers for the Nvidia card/chip for
your laptop at the Acer Website. Actually laptops do use cards instead
of
chips mounted on their MOBOS so they can offer laptops with different
chips.
However, the laptop has to be completely taken apart to change the
chip/card.
What model Nvidia chip does the laptop have?
You can also check at laptops2go.com for a driver update.
"Frenchy" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Anne wrote:
My hubby has the Acer 6920G laptop and has the problem of the screen
freezing and then flickering during game play on it. Acer have said
this
is a gaming machine wich an NVidia graphic card but it's a chip.

How do we get driver updates for the NVidia chip? NVidia says chips
cannot not be updated!

My hubby is threatening the throw the laptop and all games in the
bin -
please help us.

Sincerely
Anne
In Vista, Right click on a clear area of the screen and select
PERSONALIZE.

Click THEME and change to, say WINDOWS CLASSIC

From the Same PERSONALIZE Menu, select WINDOWS COLOR & APPEARANCE Take
the
tick OUT of the ENABLE TRANSPARENCY (if it is ticked) and then click
the
line
"Open classic appearance properties for more color options"

Select WINDOWS VISTA BASIC (I am assuming the Aero is selected)

Cleick on EFFECTS on this same screen and take the ticks out of "show
shadows under menus" and Show windows content when dragging"

CLICK APPLY to get out.

All the above are lowering the background load on your Laptops graphics
card and will help.

One more thing, you should be able to access the NVIDIA Control panel,
either from the right hand tray icon or from right click menu on
desktop.
If you can, in there select 3D settings and then select "Adjust image
settings with preview" Click to select "Let the 3D application
decide".
Click APPLY at the bottom to get out of there.

What you have not said, is what games hubby is trying to run. Many
slightly older games require a tweak to run under Vista. After you
have
tried the above, right click on the game Icon on the screen and select
PROPERTIES and then select the COMPATIBILITY Tab. Try selecting "Run
this
program in compatibility mode for WinXP2" APPLY and try the game from
double clicking that icon. If that doesn't work go back to the
COMPATIBILITY tab and ALSO select "Run as administrator". If that
doesn't
help go back again and take out the run as XP2 and just leave the
Administrator. You have to fiddle with these.

Above all, as someone else said, try lowering the quality settings
within
the game controls. Lower Anti aliasing to 2 or zero for a start. You
should know your Laptop native resolution (Right click desktop, and
then
PERSONALIZE and then display settings. Try running the game in the
SAME
resolution as your laptop.

Report back, especially with what game(s) are giving problems and I
will
post some more ideas

Frenchy

  • Re: Which of these laptops should I use for gaming?
    ... want to play slightly older games or aren't too fussed about frame rates or ... plays recent/current games like CoX, GW, WoW, even LOTRO, acceptably, & ... I don't see where anyone said that mobile gaming isn't acceptable. ... the fact remains that even a highly expensive top-of-the-line gamer laptop can't keep up with even a midrange desktop PC which costs only a fraction of the laptop's price. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Reviving a Dead Laptop
    ... 128 MB in my HP laptop running DR-DOS 7.03 can run everything I need ... The main use my old laptop gets is for playing the older games I enjoyed so ... *** Software author Bret Johnson is working on new DOS USB drivers. ... can recognise the newer flashdrives, ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: The long decline of the Mac desktop?
    ... laptop or a desktop, but not both, you still run into limitations like ... I've finally largely given up doing games on my iMac (which ... So maybe Apple desktops are starting to move out of my personal picture. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Sluggish Bloated *Vista* piece of crap
    ... I've yet to run into any space problems ... would lower one's HD space needs. ... HDs (one for Linux, one for games, etc..), but I couldn't imagine ... using a laptop in this manner. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Refresh Screen problem with screen
    ... You should be able to get the latest drivers for the Nvidia card/chip for your laptop at the Acer Website. ... Actually laptops do use cards instead of chips mounted on their MOBOS so they can offer laptops with different chips. ... After you have tried the above, right click on the game Icon on the screen and select PROPERTIES and then select the COMPATIBILITY Tab. ...