Re: 30% Defragmention

"trebla" <trebla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C95CFF08-26A1-48AD-8740-4B07F1766ED8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I've got a new PC with Vista Home Premium installed.I have 30% of
defragmented files on my C Drive.I have tried a couple of different Defrag
utilities on it O&O,Perfect Disk etc and after a Defrag run the 30% of
defragmented files are still there.Also tried offline Defrag runs with the
same result.When I was using XP Pro with the same programs the
defragmentation level was usually between 3 to 7%.
I believe Microsoft state that NTFS formatted disks don't need Defragging.
Thank you

If Microsoft really believed that NTFS disks never needed defragging, they would not have included a Defragmenter in Vista..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

  • Re: OT: The yearning for learning...
    ... Mark Russinovich is an acknowledged authority on Microsoft system internals ... even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact ... performance degradation related to file fragmentation in a system." ... But...registry defrag must be scheduled to start with the next reboot. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Need some computer help
    ... doesn't get patched because Windows 98 is no longer supported. ... > I found the defrag place and tried, but I was told that I needed to ... operating system with a better track record for security, ... Microsoft *any* of your business. ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: Defragmentation software for Windows XP?
    ... whim, Unknown pounded out on the keyboard: ... I think it more important to rely on Microsoft ... Defrag won't defragment the MFT. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant Run Defrag - Even with Perform Volume Maintenance Set
    ... SP2 will be released. ... Microsoft Online Partner Support ... What you could try is to use the command line tool defrag to run ... As we have no problem with this we edited the group policy under ...
  • Re: Scheduling AD defrag?
    ... I can still connect to the server. ... server from any workstation happen to be slow at the time of the defrag. ... This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public ...