Re: Virtual Memory problem

According to some, Vista 32bit cannot address more than 3+GB memory total; since you have 4GB RAM + 512MB RAM on the graphics card, you can try taking out 2 GB RAM. Just give it a try.
Michael

"Anne" <Anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:A6868B35-E19E-4B6B-8B10-6B71693CB13B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hello Ken,
With Vista home premium, hubby will play a game - Brian Lara's cricket - and
it's fine until you have a boundry in the game and 2 fielders run for the
ball - then the graphis start to flicker, making it impossible to play the
game from then on. It is the only game that acts like that. He has 4Gb Ram
memory and a 512Mb NVidia 9500 graphic card/chip. Virtual memory seems to be
the only thing I can think of, as if it's not clearing the previous game out
of the memory before the next game is played.

With me and XP, it doesn't bother me so much, I can handle it. But sorting
hubby's vista premium Acer 6920G laptop is the more urgent thing to do as he
suffers depression and looks upon the screen as a fault. His Tiger Woods golf
2008 game has just crashed. Nothing else was going on at the time.

The guy who told us about the software is a builder and said the software
fixed it and he's had no problems since.

Cheers
Anne

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:59:00 -0700, Anne
<Anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have a virtual memory problem

Exactly what is the problem?

> and have been told that there is software -
> Flashware - that can fix this.

I don't know anything about this particular product, but in general,
*all* third-party software that attempts to optimize virtual memory in
any way is snake oil. At best it does nothing, but it's likely to make
things worse, and I strongly recommend against it.

Explain what your problem is, and it's likely that someone here can
help you.

> Does anyone have a link or an idea where this software can be found?
> We need it for both XP and Vista Home Premium.
>
> I have 1Gb of ram for XP and hubby has 4Gb for Vista.
> Both of us have virtual memory problems - mine when using a graphic > photo
> program. Hubby's virtual memory is not clearing out whenever he > finishes with
> a program.
>
> I do hope someone understands what I mean.
>
> Anne

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

.