Re: Virtual Memory problem

According to some, Vista 32bit cannot address more than 3+GB memory total; since you have 4GB RAM + 512MB RAM on the graphics card, you can try taking out 2 GB RAM. Just give it a try.
Michael

"Anne" <Anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:A6868B35-E19E-4B6B-8B10-6B71693CB13B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hello Ken,
With Vista home premium, hubby will play a game - Brian Lara's cricket - and
it's fine until you have a boundry in the game and 2 fielders run for the
ball - then the graphis start to flicker, making it impossible to play the
game from then on. It is the only game that acts like that. He has 4Gb Ram
memory and a 512Mb NVidia 9500 graphic card/chip. Virtual memory seems to be
the only thing I can think of, as if it's not clearing the previous game out
of the memory before the next game is played.

With me and XP, it doesn't bother me so much, I can handle it. But sorting
hubby's vista premium Acer 6920G laptop is the more urgent thing to do as he
suffers depression and looks upon the screen as a fault. His Tiger Woods golf
2008 game has just crashed. Nothing else was going on at the time.

The guy who told us about the software is a builder and said the software
fixed it and he's had no problems since.

Cheers
Anne

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:59:00 -0700, Anne
<Anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have a virtual memory problem

Exactly what is the problem?

> and have been told that there is software -
> Flashware - that can fix this.

I don't know anything about this particular product, but in general,
*all* third-party software that attempts to optimize virtual memory in
any way is snake oil. At best it does nothing, but it's likely to make
things worse, and I strongly recommend against it.

Explain what your problem is, and it's likely that someone here can
help you.

> Does anyone have a link or an idea where this software can be found?
> We need it for both XP and Vista Home Premium.
>
> I have 1Gb of ram for XP and hubby has 4Gb for Vista.
> Both of us have virtual memory problems - mine when using a graphic > photo
> program. Hubby's virtual memory is not clearing out whenever he > finishes with
> a program.
>
> I do hope someone understands what I mean.
>
> Anne

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: 3GB in 2 DIMM slots!
    ... The best answer is to install a second IDENTICAL 2GB stick. ... RAM, so the extra RAM should not be wasted. ... And if I do go to 4GB, can't Vista allocate the video memory from the ...
  • Re: Does Vista Home Premimum Play Nice With 4GB Memory?
    ... 32-bit Vista does not know how to manage 4 GB memory, which is odd, ... aware having 4 GB RAM is OVERKILL for 99% of users. ... Changing from 1 GB to 2 GB there was some improvement, not a huge amount ... Going from 2 GB to 4GB using a 32 bit version of Vista ...
  • Re: Does Vista Home Premimum Play Nice With 4GB Memory?
    ... 32-bit Vista does not know how to manage 4 GB memory, which is odd, since ... be aware having 4 GB RAM is OVERKILL for 99% of users. ... I have a 1-year old notebook that came with 2GB memory standard with VHP, ... Click Ctrl/Alt/Del, Task Manager, go to ...
  • Re: Vista 32bit 4gb sinnvoll??
    ... die 4 Gigabyte und was Vista damit so anstellt im Prozess-Bereich beziehen ... Das ganze wird pro Prozess angelegt und vom Windows Memory ... Vista kann auch über den PAE Switch mehr physischen RAM adressieren, ... Wenn du also noch mehr als 4GByte RAM reinpackst profitierst du auch davon, ...
    (microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.hardware)
  • 3GB in 2 DIMM slots!
    ... each slot can operate with a maximum of 4GB RAM sticks a total of 8GB. ... And if I do go to 4GB, can't Vista allocate the video memory from the excess of the 3GB limitation, and can't I use the extra as well as a RAMDISK? ... If your motherboard is dual-channel capable, install memory in pairs. ...