Re: Refresh Screen problem with screen

You should be able to get the latest drivers for the Nvidia card/chip for your laptop at the Acer Website. Actually laptops do use cards instead of chips mounted on their MOBOS so they can offer laptops with different chips. However, the laptop has to be completely taken apart to change the chip/card.
What model Nvidia chip does the laptop have?
You can also check at laptops2go.com for a driver update.
"Frenchy" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:g5j1sd$kt5$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anne wrote:
My hubby has the Acer 6920G laptop and has the problem of the screen freezing and then flickering during game play on it. Acer have said this is a gaming machine wich an NVidia graphic card but it's a chip.

How do we get driver updates for the NVidia chip? NVidia says chips cannot not be updated!

My hubby is threatening the throw the laptop and all games in the bin - please help us.

Sincerely
Anne
In Vista, Right click on a clear area of the screen and select PERSONALIZE.

Click THEME and change to, say WINDOWS CLASSIC

From the Same PERSONALIZE Menu, select WINDOWS COLOR & APPEARANCE Take the tick OUT of the ENABLE TRANSPARENCY (if it is ticked) and then click the line
"Open classic appearance properties for more color options"

Select WINDOWS VISTA BASIC (I am assuming the Aero is selected)

Cleick on EFFECTS on this same screen and take the ticks out of "show shadows under menus" and Show windows content when dragging"

CLICK APPLY to get out.

All the above are lowering the background load on your Laptops graphics card and will help.

One more thing, you should be able to access the NVIDIA Control panel, either from the right hand tray icon or from right click menu on desktop. If you can, in there select 3D settings and then select "Adjust image settings with preview" Click to select "Let the 3D application decide". Click APPLY at the bottom to get out of there.

What you have not said, is what games hubby is trying to run. Many slightly older games require a tweak to run under Vista. After you have tried the above, right click on the game Icon on the screen and select PROPERTIES and then select the COMPATIBILITY Tab. Try selecting "Run this program in compatibility mode for WinXP2" APPLY and try the game from double clicking that icon. If that doesn't work go back to the COMPATIBILITY tab and ALSO select "Run as administrator". If that doesn't help go back again and take out the run as XP2 and just leave the Administrator. You have to fiddle with these.

Above all, as someone else said, try lowering the quality settings within the game controls. Lower Anti aliasing to 2 or zero for a start. You should know your Laptop native resolution (Right click desktop, and then PERSONALIZE and then display settings. Try running the game in the SAME resolution as your laptop.

Report back, especially with what game(s) are giving problems and I will post some more ideas

Frenchy

.