Re: Huge backup files after Vista Crash and restore

Hi Stan,

Elevated privileges are necessary even for an administrator when you want to manipulate system files. In normal runtime, no user account has unfettered access to system folders. You need to "self-elevate" and intentionally invoke the necessary level of privilege to do those operations. When you type 'explorer', the entry that you need to use is 'windows explorer'.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stan" <Stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4A3118F2-EA6B-4F9F-9117-7E0647CF533D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for your advice but I didn't understand all that. I can get a command
prompt but what is "with elevation"? I can go in under explorer and right
click the menu entry but I don't see an option to "run as administrator". I
thought I was the administrator. Any other suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks again

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

Hi,

You need to open either explorer or the command prompt with elevation. Click
start, type explorer (or cmd) into the search line. Right click the menu
entry and choose 'run as administrator'. Click continue, then delete the
unwanted backups.

--

> Vista has crashed on me several times in the last few days. Every time > I
> restore the operating system it creates a huge backup file on my C: > drive.
> My hard disk is filling up fast but when I try to delete these files I > get
> message saying I don't have the correct permissions. Since I'm the > only
> one
> who uses this computer and have all the privliges what do I need to do?

  • Re: Seltsamer Prozess der svchost lastet CPU aus - Virus?
    ... solche Zwecke aber lieber Explorer++, ... Ich lese das mal als "okay, UAC macht tatsächlich Workflows kaputt, ... Umgebungen, wo mir der Account "Administrator" nicht zu Gebote steht, ... administrative Aufgaben ausführen musst? ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Seltsamer Prozess der svchost lastet CPU aus - Virus?
    ... solche Zwecke aber lieber Explorer++, ... Ich lese das mal als "okay, UAC macht tatsächlich Workflows kaputt, ... Umgebungen, wo mir der Account "Administrator" nicht zu Gebote steht, ... kann es in Win 8 schlicht ignorieren und arbeitet so ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Seltsamer Prozess der svchost lastet CPU aus - Virus?
    ... Im Unterschied zu Vista lässt sich der Explorer in Win 7 wegen der ... Ich lese das mal als "okay, UAC macht tatsächlich Workflows kaputt, aber ... Administrator gibt) genau gar keine Option. ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: how to set admin privilege
    ... TOKEN_ELEVATION_TYPE ptet; ... Elevation is not the same as having administrative privileges. ... Requiring Administrator rights is heavy handed ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: RUNAS when a user is just in the user group
    ... Login as a local administrator or user with admin rights that you will use then to run-as explorer. ... The open Explorer goto Tools - Folder Options - View and select 'Launch folder windows in a seperate process'. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)